* Inline assembly in GNAT
@ 1999-03-04  0:00 Roy Grimm
From: Roy Grimm @ 1999-03-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently downloaded GNAT 3.10 (Windoze/Intel version) and installed
it.  I'm now starting to try it out.  I've been doing embedded software
work in Ada83 (and C) for several years and I'd like to give it a go
with GNAT and Ada95.

I'm running into some difficulty understanding the inline assembly
abilities of GNAT.  It's entirely likely that I'm just trying to read
too much into the documentation or some such thing.  Nevertheless, I've
hopelessly confused myself and I would appreciate it if someone could
point me in the right direction.

I'd like to start with implementing some simple instructions and build
up from there.  Can someone point me to some example code or perhaps a
good book which explains the inline assembly implementation in GNAT?

Thanks,
Roy Grimm

* Re: Inline assembly in GNAT
@ 1999-03-07  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Grimm (ragrimm@bigfoot.com) wrote:

: I've recently downloaded GNAT 3.10 (Windoze/Intel version) and installed

: I'm running into some difficulty understanding the inline assembly
: abilities of GNAT.

Just curious: what did you want to use inline assembly for in a Win32
environment ?

: I'd like to start with implementing some simple instructions and build
: up from there.  Can someone point me to some example code or perhaps a
: good book which explains the inline assembly implementation in GNAT?

Actually, the inline assembly code implementation mirrors the gcc
implementation, look this up in the gcc manual.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: Inline assembly in GNAT
@ 1999-03-08  0:00   ` Roy Grimm
From: Roy Grimm @ 1999-03-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> Roy Grimm (ragrimm@bigfoot.com) wrote:
>
> : I've recently downloaded GNAT 3.10 (Windoze/Intel version) and installed
>
> : I'm running into some difficulty understanding the inline assembly
> : abilities of GNAT.
>
> Just curious: what did you want to use inline assembly for in a Win32
> environment ?

Curiosity mostly.  I've worked with several (mostly Ada83) compilers
over the (not so) many years I've been developing embedded software and
I like to see how different compilers implement different features.

> : I'd like to start with implementing some simple instructions and build
> : up from there.  Can someone point me to some example code or perhaps a
> : good book which explains the inline assembly implementation in GNAT?
>
> Actually, the inline assembly code implementation mirrors the gcc
> implementation, look this up in the gcc manual.

Ah, I'll have to dig that up.  Thanks for the info.

--
Roy A. Grimm

Mathematics and alcohol don't mix. Don't drink and derive.