* GNAT 3.11, Problems with OpenGL on WinNT
@ 1999-02-11  0:00 Gerald Wilflingseder
From: Gerald Wilflingseder @ 1999-02-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I tried to port a larger OpenGL application developed with ObjectAda for
Windows
to GNAT 3.11. When executing, an error occurs, which implies that the OpenGL
part of the Win32Ada binding has not been set up properly. The message is:

    The Dynamic Link Library glaux.dll could not be found on the given path

I never saw glaux.dll. To execute OpenGL applications on Windows you need
the
2 dlls opengl32.dll and glu32.dll.

The ObjectAda distribution contains the 2 relatively small lib-files
opengl32.lib and
glu32.lib and a huge glaux.lib. So I suppose, that all the code for glaux is
in the lib
and no corresponding dll exists.

Looking into the linked executable shows some other peculiarities. The
import table
shows, that functions are referenced from glaux.dll that are referenced from
other
dlls in the corresponding ObjectAda executable, e.g.
    CreateWindowExA    (normally user32.dll)
    wglMakeCurrent         (normally opengl32.dll)
    glBegin                        (normally opengl32.dll)
and many others...

So what is wrong with the OpenGL binding?
Has anybody sucessfully used GNAT to build an OpenGL application on Windows?

A minor problem is, that the archive files only contain features of OpenGL
Version 1.0.
My original program used some features from Version 1.1. So I got some link
errors
as the following functions could not by found:
    glBindTexture
    glGenTextures
    glIsTexture

But I could write my code without these texture functions.

Thanks for any hints.

 Joachim Schr�er
AMST-Systemtechnik GmbH
Postbox 3
A-5282 Ranshofen, Austria
Tel.: (++)43 7722 892 30
E-Mail: schroeer@amst.co.at

* Re: GNAT 3.11, Problems with OpenGL on WinNT
@ 1999-02-12  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't really have to time to go into this, but check the glut binding
(v3.6!) on my homepage (follow link to old site).

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: GNAT 3.11, Problems with OpenGL on WinNT
@ 1999-02-12  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1999-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The glaux lib is not complete.

I have ported glaux for GCC/GNAT and you'll find it under my homepage.

But anyway, I agree with Jerry you should look for GLUT.

He has a binding on his homepage and I have one with some examples
and extenssions (look at GLUT-CSG package) on my homepage.

(direct link to Ada section :
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry/contrib.html)

Pascal.

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |
--|                                                           |
--| EDF-DER-IPN-SID- T T I                                    |
--|                       Intranet: http://cln46gb            |
--| Bureau N-023            e-mail: pascal.obry@edf.fr        |
--| 1 Av G�n�ral de Gaulle  voice : +33-1-47.65.50.91         |
--| 92141 Clamart CEDEX     fax   : +33-1-47.65.50.07         |
--| FRANCE                                                    |
--|------------------------------------------------------------
--|
--|   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry
--|
--|   "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"

* Re: GNAT 3.11, Problems with OpenGL on WinNT (Resend)
@ 1999-02-12  0:00 ` mcc
From: mcc @ 1999-02-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We at the Air Force Academy use GNAT 3.11p with OpenGL for our graphics
course.  We do not use glaux, however.  I do not have that DLL on my
machine.  I believe we got OpenGL95.exe from Microsoft, and the Ada binding
from http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/#bindings

For the latter, you need to change pragma Import(C,... to
pragma Import(Stdcall, ...

>A minor problem is, that the archive files only contain features of OpenGL
>Version 1.0.
>    glBindTexture
>    glGenTextures
>    glIsTexture

Mine is version 1.1

--Martin
--
Martin C. Carlisle, Asst Prof of Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

* Re: GNAT 3.11, Problems with OpenGL on WinNT (Resend)
@ 1999-02-13  0:00   ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-02-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil wrote:

: We at the Air Force Academy use GNAT 3.11p with OpenGL for our graphics
: course.  We do not use glaux, however.  I do not have that DLL on my
: machine.  I believe we got OpenGL95.exe from Microsoft, and the Ada binding
: from http://www.niestu.com/languages/oglada/#bindings

: For the latter, you need to change pragma Import(C,... to
: pragma Import(Stdcall, ...

In version 3.6 there also were some constant declarations missing in the
Ada binding. I have not yet checked if this has been corrected in the 3.7
version, although I did alert the author.

Also note that you need to build GNAT style .a import libraries.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk       | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada/Ada-Belgium | jdijk@acm.org