From: "Condic, Marin D." <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Re: Spawning a subprocess and communicating with it.
Date: 1998/10/12
Date: 1998-10-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The model you suggest sounds interesting. I don't know much about what
compiler options you'd have to use (or other linkage issues that might be
involved) to get this sort of thing to work, but it doesn't sound
particularly hard. Maybe you have a "Hello World" of distributed processing
you could share?

While the distributed issue could certainly be useful in other contexts, I
don't think it would suit my current problem. Imagine my embedded control
software running in its own little box and periodically looking at a
MilStd1553 bus for a message from the monitor program. It receives a
message, collects up some data and blips it back down the wire. I can't
change that software because it already exists in lots of boxes. What I'd
like to do is run a variation of that software on a workstation with no
"structural" changes - just a thin layer of code that says "Instead of
getting your messages from a MilStd1553 bus, you're going to be getting them
from this OS supplied pipe - otherwise, they look identical and the protocol
is the same." The same situation would exist for the monitor program -
either it uses the MilStd1553 to talk to the embedded code in the "real"
machine, or it uses a pipe to communicate with a variation of the software
compiled for the workstation. (Initially a Sun/Unix box, but soon to be
appearing in a WinNT box as well.) There may be some way of visualizing this
all as RPCs, but it sounds like I'd be building some layer of complexity I
don't need if all I want to do is change the transport mechanism for a
message passing system that is already in place.

BTW: You wouldn't happen to know how to make the CreateProcess system call
work on WinNT using Win32ada? I've been fighting it for days and keep
loosing. Maybe there's some secret handshake for getting system calls to
work with GNAT on the PC??? ;-)

MDC