From: "Condic, Marin D." <condicma@PWFL.COM>
Subject: Spawning a subprocess and communicating with it.
Date: 1998/10/01
Date: 1998-10-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

    I'm looking for an example of how I might accomplish the following
    using SunOS 5.5.1 Unix and GNAT 3.9 (or later):

    I want to write an Ada program that can start up another Ada
    program as a subprocess, coprocess or whatever is the common Unix
    paradigm. (I just need it running as a separate, stand-alone
    executable image whose execution need go on no longer than that of
    the parent program that initiated it.) When the subprocess is up
    and running, I need to trade messages back and forth (character
    strings are sufficient) between the two processes.

    I presume this is all doable through various Unix system calls,
    but unfortunately, we don't seem to have anyone around here who is
    much of an expert on Unix calls, or how to interface to them via
    Ada or even any manuals one might peruse on the subject. If
    someone could send me a small example of how this is done, I would
    be grateful. Thanks.

    MDC
Marin D. Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems
Pratt & Whitney,
Government Engines & Space Propulsion
M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600,
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600
Ph: 561.796.8997         Fx: 561.796.4669

"The speed with which people can change a courtesy into an entitlement is
awe-inspiring."
        --  Miss Manners, February 8, 1994