* Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-10-30  0:00 Gustav Markkula
From: Gustav Markkula @ 1998-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The other day I read a computer mag article that claimed that there is a way of compiling Ada source into Javabyte code (I think that's the name for it, the code used for Applets over the Web.) Does anyone know anything about this?

--
Quote of the day:
To sleep is carcinogenic; to skate, lunatic.

==================
	Gustav Markkula
	H�stv�dersgatan 65
	S - 418 33 G�teborg
	Sweden

		tel. +46 (0)31 548207 =======================

* Re: Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-10-30  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1998-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gustav Markkula (f98guma@dd.chalmers.se) wrote:

: The other day I read a computer mag article that claimed that there is
: a way of compiling Ada source into Javabyte code (I think that's the
: name for it, the code used for Applets over the Web.)
: Does anyone know anything about this?

The technology is called "AppletMagic", a derivative of our
AdaMagic Ada 95 front end.  See www.appletmagic.com for some info and
examples.  The best way to get AppletMagic is probably from Aonix;
they bundle it with their ObjectAda Professional, I believe.

Note that a GNAT-based Ada => Java byte-code compiler is also on
the way.

: --
: Quote of the day:
: To sleep is carcinogenic; to skate, lunatic.

: ==================
: 	Gustav Markkula
: 	H�stv�dersgatan 65
: 	S - 418 33 G�teborg
: 	Sweden

: 		tel. +46 (0)31 548207 =======================

Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA
An AverStar Company

* Re: Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-10-31  0:00 ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <71clhr$cij$1@eol.dd.chalmers.se>,
  f98guma@dd.chalmers.se (Gustav Markkula) wrote:
> The other day I read a computer mag article that claimed that there is a way
>of compiling Ada source into Javabyte code (I think that's the name for it,
>the code used for Applets over the Web.) Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes indeed this is possible, for information on the Ada Core Technologies
work in this area, contact sales@act-europe.fr.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-10-31  0:00 ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1998-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aonix' ObjectAda has had this capability for 2+ years.
A demo version is available for free download from
our web site at:

http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/ada.download.html

It is also available as AppletMagic, on a stand-alone
basis, from AverStar.

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- http://www.aonix.com

Gustav Markkula wrote:

> The other day I read a computer mag article that claimed that there is a way of compiling Ada source into Javabyte code (I think that's the name for it, the code used for Applets over the Web.) Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> --
> Quote of the day:
> To sleep is carcinogenic; to skate, lunatic.
>
> ==================
>         Gustav Markkula
>         H�stv�dersgatan 65
>         S - 418 33 G�teborg
>         Sweden
>
>                 tel. +46 (0)31 548207 =======================

* Re: Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-10-31  0:00   ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 1998-10-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Wood wrote:

> Aonix' ObjectAda has had this capability for 2+ years.
> A demo version is available for free download from
> our web site at:
>
> http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/ada.download.html
>
> It is also available as AppletMagic, on a stand-alone
> basis, from AverStar.

I just got AppletMagic in the mail today from Averstar.  I was
somewhat disappointed that what came was a CD that is just about
2 years old, file dates 11-96, said compatible with Java 1.02.
The version number on this item, just purchased for $99 is 2.0.
The Intermetrics web pages contain references to a version 2.7 back
in the beginning of 1998, and don't appear to have been kept
current.  They offer a free trial version that is supposed to
expire last spring, not to mention not having the new name of
the company (Averstar).   There is no info about getting what I
just bought up to current.

Did I buy an old remaindered and unsupported product for $99?
This is not high for an Ada product, but compared to IBM's
Visual Age Professional competitive upgrade at $29, it is high
for Java.  What's the scoop?

Al

* Re: Ada -> Javabyte
@ 1998-11-01  0:00     ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1998-11-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians (achrist@easystreet.com) wrote:

: ...
: I just got AppletMagic in the mail today from Averstar.  I was
: somewhat disappointed that what came was a CD that is just about
: 2 years old, file dates 11-96, said compatible with Java 1.02.
: The version number on this item, just purchased for $99 is 2.0.
: The Intermetrics web pages contain references to a version 2.7 back
: in the beginning of 1998, and don't appear to have been kept
: current.  They offer a free trial version that is supposed to
: expire last spring, not to mention not having the new name of
: the company (Averstar).   There is no info about getting what I
: just bought up to current.

: Did I buy an old remaindered and unsupported product for $99?
: This is not high for an Ada product, but compared to IBM's
: Visual Age Professional competitive upgrade at $29, it is high
: for Java.  What's the scoop?

We will provide an e-mail update if you would like.  Please send
e-mail to "appletmagic-sales@inmet.com" identifying yourself and
when (approximately) you purchased the CD, and we will venture
to send you an update via e-mail.

: Al