From: stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft)
Subject: Re: Incompatibility involving universal expressions
Date: 1998/10/12
Date: 1998-10-12T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

jhassett@my-dejanews.com wrote:

: ...
: In any event, I'm happy to find that the supposed incompatibility
: is not real, but I'm chagrined at having been so misled by a faulty
: compiler.

Don't take it personally ;-).  Getting the visibility of operators
just right is tricky, especially given that most Ada compilers try
to avoid "polluting" the symbol table with vast numbers of
predefined operators.

For what it is worth, my "favorite" operator overloading problem
is "aggregate & aggregate & aggregate & aggregate & ...".
There is an extremely nasty combinatorial explosion possible here if
there are any array-of-composite types around, since the compiler
is not "allowed" to look "inside" an aggregate until it decides
what is its type.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that the Ada 95 Green Hills
compiler did the right thing.  It uses my favorite Ada 95
front end. ;-).

: - Jim Hassett

Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA
An AverStar Company