From: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk)
Subject: Re: Spawning a subprocess and communicating with it.
Date: 1998/10/08
Date: 1998-10-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Condic, Marin D. (condicma@PWFL.COM) wrote:

: BTW: I was trying to do essentially the same sort of thing on a WinNT
: platform with the Win32ada bindings without much success. In attempting to
: build the client/server version of the "Hello World" application, I wrote
: the following code, which no matter how I changed around the parameters,
: didn't seem to want to fire up a separate process. Everything I've been able
: to gather about the CreateProcess call indicates that when this program is
: run in an MS-DOS command prompt window (on WinNT) it should create another
: window in which will execute the "Server_01" application. But the
: CreateProcess call keeps failing and I have no clue as to why. Any guesses?

Yes. NT doesn't fork.

CreateProcess needs a separate executable to be able to create another
process. If you want to run both the client and the server from the same
executable, you need to run them as threads within your main process.

Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Leiden, Holland | member Team-Ada