* Re: ODBC???
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 ` Richard A. Maffei
From: Richard A. Maffei @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Puts

Steve Puts wrote:

> I just wonder if it would be possible to create odbc-calls in ada, to connect
> to a remote database server. Could anyone point me out what package I need to
> use for this.
>
> Hope you can help me.
>
> Steve

Steve,

We are in the process of updating our Oracle embedded SQL (Pro*Ada)
application to use ODBC.  Our application resides on a HP-UX 10.20
system and we are using Aonix's ObjectAda 7.1 for the compilation.
Aonix also provides a set of thin bindings to ODBC Level 2.0 plus
extensions.

On the ODBC side, we are using OpenLink's Multi-tier Data Access Driver
Suite (http://www.openlinksw.com) which provides it's own object
broker (i.e., does not require SQL*Net to be installed).

We have been very successful in using the Ada bindings, although we
rely heavily on the Interfaces.C packages since the bindings are thin.

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

v/r,
Rick Maffei
rickal@visi.net
rmaffei@c2cen.uscg.mil

* Re: ODBC???
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <901889226.936789184@news.online.be>, Steve says...

>I just wonder if it would be possible to create odbc-calls in ada, to connect
>to a remote database server. Could anyone point me out what package I need to
>use for this.

there is an ODBC ada binding, dont have the url right now for it, try
looking in www.adahome.com.

you'll find the most database vendors (oracle,sybase etc..) have better
support for odbc in terms of providing drivers for the NT platform than
for UNIX. too bad. but I think the latest announcment from Oracle and
informaix that they will port their databases to linux is good news.

Nasser

* Re: ODBC???
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Puts (steve.p@unicall.be) wrote:

: I just wonder if it would be possible to create odbc-calls in ada, to connect
: to a remote database server. Could anyone point me out what package I need to
: use for this.

It depends. If you are working on a Wintel box, the Win32Ada binding
includes the ODBC interfaces.

Jerry.
--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Leiden, Holland | member Team-Ada

* ODBC???
@ 1998-07-31  0:00 Steve Puts
From: Steve Puts @ 1998-07-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just wonder if it would be possible to create odbc-calls in ada, to connect
to a remote database server. Could anyone point me out what package I need to
use for this.

Hope you can help me.

Steve

* Re: ODBC???
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-08-11  0:00 ` Cliff Chavis
From: Cliff Chavis @ 1998-08-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are 3 packages that you need.
sql, sqlext, and odbcinst
I know that apex ada compilor comes with these.

Steve Puts <steve.p@unicall.be> wrote in article