* resources
@ 1998-06-19  0:00 Carlos Piqueres Ayela
From: Carlos Piqueres Ayela @ 1998-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello !

A simple question.
How can I compile a resource file (for W95 *.rc) with GNAT 3.10 ??
I'm trying to do I little program in C and calling it from an Ada program.
And I wanted to include some resources in the C program (menus and things
like that) directly in C, not using tha Win32Ada.

Thank you.

* Re: resources
@ 1998-06-19  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Carlos Piqueres Ayela" <piqueres@mundivia.es> writes:

> Hello !
>
> A simple question.
> How can I compile a resource file (for W95 *.rc) with GNAT 3.10 ??
> I'm trying to do I little program in C and calling it from an Ada program.
> And I wanted to include some resources in the C program (menus and things
> like that) directly in C, not using tha Win32Ada.

Under a "typical" Windows Integrated Developement Environment (IDE),
the IDE knows which compiler to call for each source file; the C++
compiler for foo.cpp, the C compiler for foo.c, and the resource
compiler for foo.rc. GNAT provides a command line environment, which
knows about Ada and C, but not resources. So you have to call the
resource compiler yourself. This is easily automated with make files.

Consult your Windows IDE about what the resource compiler is called. I
don't think there is a gnu one; look on Jerry Van Dijk's page
http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/ - he has the best collection of Ada on
Win95 stuff.

> Thank you.

-- Stephe

* Re: resources
@ 1998-06-19  0:00   ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake (Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: Consult your Windows IDE about what the resource compiler is called. I
: don't think there is a gnu one; look on Jerry Van Dijk's page
: http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/ - he has the best collection of Ada on
: Win95 stuff.

Thanks for the compliment... !

However, info on using resource files and such was missing up till now.
I'm currently extreemly busy, but I did add some useful tools to my
homepage. No explanation or instructions as yet, so your milage may
vary.

I plan to restructure the site next month, and will add further info
on GUI programming at that time.

Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org