From: bs@research.att.com (Bjarne Stroustrup)
Subject: Re: A little OO humor
Date: 1998/06/02
Date: 1998-06-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

A hoax pretending to be an interview with me by IEEE Computer from
January 1, 1998 has been doing the rounds. Over the last four months
or so, it was posted and re-posted in an incredible number of places.
In it, I'm quoted as making strong derogatory statements about C++ and
object-oriented programming. The opinions expressed that fake interview
are contrary to anything I have ever said about C++ and completely in
variance with a professional attitude.

However, now IEEE has done an interview with me for the June issue of
Computer Magazine. That real interview can be found at

	http://www.research.att.com/~bs/ieee_interview.html, and
	http://www.computer.org/computer/co1998/html/r6110.htm

I have on occation expressed the opinion that the fake interview was
less funny than it could have been. Predictably, someone suggested that
I write something better in the line of "geek humor" for April 1.
Have a look at

	http://www.research.att.com/~bs/whitespace98.pdf

from the English C++ Users' Group magazine "Overload" - April 98 issue
of course. It differes from the fake interview in many ways, not least
in that this article doesn't say or imply anything negative about anyone
or anyone's work.

	- Bjarne

Bjarne Stroustrup, AT&T Labs, http://www.research.att.com/~bs