* Linking GCC/Gnat and Microsoft Visual C++ libs
@ 1998-05-24  0:00 Paul Hussein
From: Paul Hussein @ 1998-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone help. I am trying to link some Microsoft VC++ 5.0 libs with
Gnat/GCC. At  run-time I get an error and am wondering if this link is
legal.

If not, how do I do link MS VC++ libs and Gnat/GCC.

* Re: Linking GCC/Gnat and Microsoft Visual C++ libs
@ 1998-05-24  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1998-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <6k9npe$qah$1@plug.news.pipex.net>, "Paul Hussein" <paul.hussein@dial.pipex.com> writes:
> Can anyone help. I am trying to link some Microsoft VC++ 5.0 libs with
> Gnat/GCC. At  run-time I get an error and am wondering if this link is
> legal.

It is unlikely anyone could help you unless you say what error you
are getting.

* Re: Linking GCC/Gnat and Microsoft Visual C++ libs
@ 1998-05-25  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Hussein (paul.hussein@dial.pipex.com) wrote:

: Can anyone help. I am trying to link some Microsoft VC++ 5.0 libs with
: Gnat/GCC. At  run-time I get an error and am wondering if this link is
: legal.

: If not, how do I do link MS VC++ libs and Gnat/GCC.

As usual, it depends.

Basically gcc uses the .a library format, not the .lib format. So if
you are using the gcc linker (ld) that won't work.

You might have success with a GNAT version previous to 3.10, since it
is rumored that these ports could use the microsoft linker. But that
would in all likelyhood involve some tricks.

If this .lib is an import library, it is possible that GNAT already includes
the .a format import libraries you need. Otherwise follow the instructions
on my homepage: http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk to build a GNAT compatible
import library for the DLL.

If this is a normal code library, and you have the sources, see if you
can compile the code into a DLL, and build a GNAT import library for
this DLL.

If this is a code library for which you have no sources, there is AFAIK
no way to use it directly. An option might then be to write some wrapper
code and compile this into a DLL, linking the .lib within the DLL.

Success,
Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org