From: stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft)
Subject: Re: Would a standard 'universal' GUI specification be useful?
Date: 1998/05/11
Date: 1998-05-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts (Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com) wrote:

: ...
: A standard 'universal' GUI facility (in the form, I fancy, of a hierarchy of
: library package specifications, together with defining documentation) could
: provide a single vehicle for Ada programmers to use the facilities of
: different GUI environments, and the portability of their code would be
: tremendously enhanced. I believe such a facility could also provide a
: slightly easier way for Ada programmers to get to grips with a notoriously
: slippery branch of modern programming (by hiding much of the messy details).

I would recommend you base this either on the Java AWT, or
on RR's "Claw."  No need to start from scratch in this area.
The advantage of basing it on the Java AWT is that you may
be able to reuse the existing "DLL"s/Shared libraries that
implement the low-level functionality of the Java AWT,
allowing you to write the rest of the code in "portable" Ada.

: ...
: --
: Nick Roberts
: ThoughtWing Software, Croydon, UK