* Re: Fortran Namelist Package
       [not found] <cQFa5.24646$L8.82219@east3.usenetserver.com>
@ 2000-07-11  0:00 ` jpwoodruff
From: jpwoodruff @ 2000-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <cQFa5.24646$L8.82219@east3.usenetserver.com>,
  "Anthony E. Glover" <aglover@elmco.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of an Ada package for interfacing to Fortran namelist
> files.
> I need something that can read the files and provide an interface for
> retrieving
> the values.
>
> Tony

There is an Ada83 package called Name_IO in the public Ada repository
(and on the Walnut Creek disk) that will read formatted files *very near*
the Fortran namelist standard.  (The Ada package was "inspired" by the
Fortran convention).

You can find the package, along with required support packages and test
drivers, in a directory named after the developer -- "woodruff".  That
would be me, so I can help if something appears awry.

John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

@ 2000-07-11  0:00 ` Howard W. LUDWIG
From: Howard W. LUDWIG @ 2000-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Anthony E. Glover" wrote:

> Does anyone know of an Ada package for interfacing to Fortran namelist
> files.
> I need something that can read the files and provide an interface for
> retrieving
> the values.
>
> Tony

Was NAMELIST standardized in Fortran 90?  I'm not aware that it was.
I know that many compilers provided NAMELIST as extensions to
FORTRAN 66 and FORTRAN 77; however, as extensions and not part of
the standard, the implementations among vendors varied quite a bit.
(I believe DOD had NAMELIST in some MIL-STD defining Fortran for
DOD purposes, but it did not match any ISO/IEC/ANSI standard--in fact,
I suspect that DODs failure to get NAMELIST and ENCODE/DECODE approved
as part of FORTRAN 77 was part of the driving force for DOD having a
language they could exercise more control over--and they ended up
with Ada--not too shabby.)

In other words, you need to be careful about using such NAMELISTs in
Fortran because of the variety of syntax used by vendors.  Even if you
do find existing Ada code (and I am not aware of any--have you checked
the PAL?), it may not do what you need because it supports the "wrong"
syntax.

Howard W. LUDWIG

* Re: Fortran Namelist Package
@ 2000-07-11  0:00   ` Dan Nagle
From: Dan Nagle @ 2000-07-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

"Howard W. LUDWIG" wrote:

<snip original question>

> Was NAMELIST standardized in Fortran 90?  I'm not aware that it was.

It was, and the definition was further enhanced in Fortran 95.
(Comments in namelist files were added.)

> I know that many compilers provided NAMELIST as extensions to
> FORTRAN 66 and FORTRAN 77; however, as extensions and not part of
> the standard, the implementations among vendors varied quite a bit.
> (I believe DOD had NAMELIST in some MIL-STD defining Fortran for
> DOD purposes, but it did not match any ISO/IEC/ANSI standard--in fact,
> I suspect that DODs failure to get NAMELIST and ENCODE/DECODE approved
> as part of FORTRAN 77 was part of the driving force for DOD having a
> language they could exercise more control over--and they ended up
> with Ada--not too shabby.)

Well,

ENCODE/DECODE were replaced by internal read/write when Hollerith
was replaced by the character type (with f77).

Mil Std 1753 was universally implemented if not adopted by ANSI.

It is because, in part at least, the "details" of extensions often
differ from compiler to compiler that "industry practice" isn't
simply copied into the Fortran standard.  It's often the semantics
rather than the syntax that differs, and often only "slightly".

> In other words, you need to be careful about using such NAMELISTs in
> Fortran because of the variety of syntax used by vendors.  Even if you
> do find existing Ada code (and I am not aware of any--have you checked
> the PAL?), it may not do what you need because it supports the "wrong"
> syntax.

If the Ada code is newer than f95, it's probably at least trying to
support
the right syntax; if it's newer than f90, it may not support comments in
the namelist file.  If it's older than f90, it's probably trying to
support
Mil Std 1753.  Of course, you're right to test it first ;-)

Any Fortran 90/95 compiler will have a "new namelist/old namelist"
switch if the vendor supplied a namelist which differed from what was
standardized.

--

Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.

@ 2000-07-12  0:00 ` Anthony E. Glover
From: Anthony E. Glover @ 2000-07-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all of the help.  I was able to find
a package on AdaBasis.  It works fairly well; although,
I did have to reformat my file a little.

Thanks,
Tony