From: emery@goldfinger.mitre.org (David Emery)
Subject: Re: I have a question...
Date: 14 Oct 94 14:16:10
Date: 1994-10-14T14:16:10+00:00	[thread overview]

>I should say that if a UNIX program needs to ask the user for a file
>name, something must be wrong with its design.

Some Unix programs are filters.  They read standard input, and write
to standard output.  This is a SMALL SUBSET of Unix programs.
Compilers, for instance, may well ask for a filename if the user
provides no filename on the command line.  Thus this assertion (that a
Unix program that has to ask for a filename is 'bad') is not valid.

				dave
--
--The preceeding opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
--The MITRE Corporation or its sponsors.