From: emery@dr_no.mitre.org (David Emery)
Subject: Re: Ada scandal makes front page of Wash. Post business section
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 20:38:08 GMT
Date: 1993-03-12T20:38:08+00:00	[thread overview]

>It seems to me that the easiest way to refute this well-publicized example
>is by giving a counterexample.  Is there a project that you can point to

>  a) Of comparable size, complexity and importance
>  b) Ada was used
>  c) The programmers were happy
>  d) The customers were happy
>  e) Modifications were easily made
>  f) The project came in on time

A couple of examples come to mind:
	AFATDS (although I'm not sure about the delivery schedule)
	STANFINS
Both of these systems are multi-million lines of code, and both have
received substantial exposure in the trade press.

Locally, we have two systems, CCPDS-R and Cobra Dane, in the 150k-500k
range that have come in under schedule and budget using Ada.

None of these programs have all of the characteristics of FAA-AAS.  I
personally think that things the size of FAA-AAS may not be doable at
all.  I certainly believe that, if it can't be done in Ada, it can't
be done.

				dave