From: emery@mitre-bedford.arpa  (David Emery)
Subject: Re: Is General Kind the harbinger of doom for the Mandate?
Date: 5 Apr 93 19:17:12 GMT	[thread overview]

There is a big difference between "professional engineer" and
"Professional Engineer" (P.E.)  The latter are licensed by the states
and are legally liable when the building (etc) that they approved (by
sealing drawings) falls down.  There have been many discussions on
whether software engineers should be PE's, and at one time laws to
that effect were proposed in New Jersey.

It'd be a damn good idea, in my opinion, but there are some
substantial issues that have to be addressed before it happens.

				dave
p.s.  one thing I'll guarantee:  We'll start spending $$$ for
professional liability insurance when it happens...