From: emery@mitre-bedford.arpa  (David Emery)
Subject: Re: Meridian Ada for MS Windows
Date: 26 Oct 92 20:37:41 GMT	[thread overview]

This is an instance of the larger debate on "thin vs thick" language
bindings.

The arguments for thin bindings are:

	1.  efficiency (no extra Ada layering)
	2.  reuse of existing documentation
	3.  ease of development

The arguments for thick bindings are:

	1.  appropriate Ada coding style/abstraction
	2.  support for Ada features (e.g. exceptions, tasking)

The POSIX/Ada binding (IEEE Standard P1003.5) is an example of a thick
binding.  This document has a lot of (very good) rationale on the
topic.

Personally, I'm very much in favor of thick bindings as products.  If
all I wanted was a thin binding, I'd either program in C, or do it myself.

				dave