* Typical Newbie Problem:  Tone Generation
@ 2005-04-26 17:53 Fran Renard
From: Fran Renard @ 2005-04-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am attempting to rebuild a neat little piece of code from the my
Modula-2 phase (ca. 1989).  A morse code generation toolkit module.
This requires the generation of tones of specific frequency and
duration for the dots and dashes (or marks and spaces from another
technology).  Does anyone know where to look for useful code?

Thank You,
Frannie

* Re: Typical Newbie Problem:  Tone Generation
@ 2005-04-26 18:18 ` Martin Dowie
From: Martin Dowie @ 2005-04-26 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fran Renard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to rebuild a neat little piece of code from the my
> Modula-2 phase (ca. 1989).  A morse code generation toolkit module.
> This requires the generation of tones of specific frequency and
> duration for the dots and dashes (or marks and spaces from another
> technology).  Does anyone know where to look for useful code?

Check out the "OpenAL" Ada binding @

http://www.openalada.com/

Cheers

-- Martin

* Re: Typical Newbie Problem: Tone Generation
@ 2005-04-27  1:02   ` Fran Renard
From: Fran Renard @ 2005-04-27  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Martin,

>Check out the "OpenAL" Ada binding @
>
>http://www.openalada.com/

>From downloaded documentation it seems to have all kinds of signal
processing, but no sound creation.  No Joy on this one..

A Google on: Ada95 and Sound was interesting though.  Will have to work
that vector for a while.  Thanks for the above, will let you know if I
find a solution.

@ 2005-04-27  5:48     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2005-04-27  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Windows has a tone generation call.  I believe you can see it in a
download of the free Claw.Sounds
    procedure Beep (Hertz : in Hertz_Type := 400;
                    Milliseconds : in Claw.DWord := 200);
        -- Create a Beep with the specified Hertz and Millisecond duration.
        -- Raises:
        --      Windows_Error if Windows reports an error.
        --      Not_Supported_Error if not running on Windows NT and the
        --          parameters have values other than the default ones.
        -- Implementation note: On Windows 95, this always triggers the
        -- system default sound; the parameter values aren't used.  Use the
        -- control panel to adjust the sound or turn it off.
        -- Note:
        -- This routine waits for the sound to be played, returning only
        -- when it is done.

The supported Claw has the routines for playing waveforms and a little demo
that plays a tune where you can adjust the tone characteristics, and thus
the "instrument", on the fly.