From: bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff)
Subject: Re: general comment on CLA
Date: 1997/09/19
Date: 1997-09-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>On 18 Sep 1997, Robert Dewar wrote:
>> I am about to decide that CLA is no longer worth following, but if other
>> people feel that these kinds of threads are reasonable, fine.

It's not *that* bad, Robert.  Don't go away.

Yes, the cross-posted language wars contain mostly nonsense posted by
people who don't know what they're talking about, but they do contain
*some* useful discussion.  For example, I find the argument about
Ada-style exception handling vs Eiffel's "retry" thing somewhat
interesting.  And separate specs vs short-flat tools (although that one
is getting repetetive).  At least it's Eiffel vs Ada, which have enough
in common that the differences are worth discussing.  If it bores you,
kill-file it.

All in all, I'd say comp.lang.ada has better signal-to-noise than any
newsgroup I've read (except comp.compilers, which is moderated, so
language comparisons get squelched if they start getting too
"war"-like).

Just be glad that the Ada vs Red language "war" isn't crossposted to
comp.lang.red.  ;-)

- Bob