From: stt@houdini.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft)
Subject: Re: Most efficient way to check for null string?
Date: 1997/06/20
Date: 1997-06-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Dale Stanbrough (dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU) wrote:

: I think the following are both equally readable, so which is likely
: to be more efficient?

: 	if Str = "" then
:
: 	if Str'Length = 0 then

As usual, it depends on the implemenation.  I suspect the second will
be the more efficient on most compilers.  If you really want to
shave cycles, the following will likely be the most efficient:

     if Str'Last < Str'First then ...

: Dale

Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA