* Parallel programing in Linux Cluster using Ada95
@ 1999-01-18  0:00 Joe L. Vojir
From: Joe L. Vojir @ 1999-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
    I was wondering if I use the task routines in the Ada95 programming
language will I be able to utlize power of our beowolf Linux cluster.  This
question is just to decide if I should learn the message passing routines or
if I can use Ada's built-in paralizing capability and both would work
equally.

Thanks for any assistance, Please E-mail reply
Joshua

* Re: Parallel programing in Linux Cluster using Ada95
@ 1999-01-19  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <780mng$mkj$1@news-2.news.gte.net>, "Joe L. Vojir" <jlvojir1@gte.net> writes:
> Hi,
>     I was wondering if I use the task routines in the Ada95 programming
> language will I be able to utlize power of our beowolf Linux cluster.  This
> question is just to decide if I should learn the message passing routines or
> if I can use Ada's built-in paralizing capability and both would work
> equally.

For Linux, you are probably talking about the GNAT compiler, and
someone else will talk about the specifics.  (If you don't like
what the compiler does, you can always rewrite it, a comment I
would only make to a Linux fan :-).

With that said, however, keep in mind that the Ada language facilities
are not "built-in parallelizing" in the sense of some Fortran compilers
which deconstitute inner loops without programmer involvement.  The Ada
programmer must make decisions about what happens in what task, etc.

I suppose it would be possible to write an Ada compiler that automated
parallelizing in the Fortran sense, but most programmers who have a
problem susceptible to that sort of approach are using Fortran.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Parallel programing in Linux Cluster using Ada95
@ 1999-01-19  0:00 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1999-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <780mng$mkj$1@news-2.news.gte.net> "Joe L. Vojir" <jlvojir1@gte.net> writes:

 >    I was wondering if I use the task routines in the Ada95 programming
 > language will I be able to utlize power of our beowolf Linux cluster.  This
 > question is just to decide if I should learn the message passing routines or
 > if I can use Ada's built-in paralizing capability and both would work
 > equally.

    Interesting question.  As I understand the Beowolf design concept,
it would help to have both a Distributed Systems Annex implementation
and a tasking run-time especially targeted to the cluster.  (You want
to be able to spread programs across processors using partitions, but
also to have a tasking run-time that assumes that rendezvous are
between processors if the tasks have no need for shared memory.)

    Shouldn't be too hard...
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Parallel programing in Linux Cluster using Ada95
@ 1999-01-19  0:00   ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Jan19.111718.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> In article <780mng$mkj$1@news-2.news.gte.net>, "Joe L.
Vojir" <jlvojir1@gte.net> writes:
> > Hi,
> >     I was wondering if I use the task routines in the
> > Ada95 programming
> > language will I be able to utlize power of our beowolf
> > Linux cluster.  This
> > question is just to decide if I should learn the
> > message passing routines or
> > if I can use Ada's built-in paralizing capability and
> > both would work
> > equally.

Larry answers about tasking, and then talks about
parellization, but I think that is going in the wrong
direction. More interesting is to look at using remote
procedure call structures, using the facilities of the
DSA (Annex E of the RM: Distributed Systems). These are
fully implemented in GNAT.

Robert Dewar

* Re: Parallel programing in Linux Cluster using Ada95
@ 1999-01-19  0:00 ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 1999-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might want to look at using the distributed annex instead.

In article <780mng$mkj$1@news-2.news.gte.net>, jlvojir1@gte.net says...

@ 1999-01-19  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Jan19.111718.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:

> I suppose it would be possible to write an Ada compiler that automated
> parallelizing in the Fortran sense, but most programmers who have a
> problem susceptible to that sort of approach are using Fortran.

Ada doesn't have the explicit parallel loops, but those could probably be put
into a compiler w/ custom pragmas. (pragma dopar (loop_label);) Plus an Ada
compiler should actualy have an eaiser time than a HPF compiler finding
implicitly parallelizable code. But I don't know how amenable gnat would be to
such mucking, given its gcc base.

T.E.D.