From: eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: ObjectAda 7.1, HP-UX 10.20, Oracle 7.X, and Intersolv's ODBC drivers
Date: 1998/07/10
Date: 1998-07-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <35A53688.61AEED29@visi.net> "Richard A. Maffei" <rickal@visi.net> writes:

  > In our attempt to switch our application from using Oracle's Pro*Ada to
  > ODBC, we have come across a stumbling block.  Namely, linking our Ada95
  > software to Intersolv's ODBC drivers through Aonix's ODBC bindings...

  > With the assistance of Aonix and Intersolv, we confirmed which
  > libraries are to be included in the link command, but the errors still
  > arise.  Delving deeper into the problem, I found an article in HP's
  > support center stating that the system linker (ld) cannot handle C++
  > libraries (in which Intersolv's drivers are written).  To link in C++
  > libraries, HP's aCC compiler/linker is required.  However, the article
  > further states that when using the aCC compiler, the main procedure
  > needs to be written in C++ (shudder).

   Interesting, and the type of problem found in real projects.  There
are several possible solutions:

   1) Get Intersolv to fix their drivers to work with the standard
system linker.  (Best)

   2) Find another ODBC vendor with a binding that doesn't require a
non-standard linker.  I have no idea how easy or hard this is for HP.
I have generated ODBC Ada bindings to ODBC C bindings on other
platforms, but in general this is unlikely to be as efficient.

   3) Get Ionix to modify their binder to support the Intersolve
drivers.

   4..40) Lots of worse solutions.
--

					Robert I. Eachus