From: eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: "Bugs" (Was: Anyone could give a complete and yet small program on the use for the generic
Date: 1997/01/10
Date: 1997-01-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

   Robert Dewar said:

   > This is an old bit of urban legend, but is wrong, the term bug is very
   > old. We are talking about meaning 3b in OED II:

   > "A defect or fault in a machine, plan, or the like, orig U.S."...

   Robert is right that the terms "bug" and "debugging" predate
computers, but the application of the term to software did derive from
an actual incident at Harvard (with the Mark I? one of Aiken's
electromechanical machines).  An error was traced to a particular
relay not closing, and when the relay was checked there was a dead moth
in the relay.  The log entry for that time period said: "Debugging
computer," with the actual bug taped in.  (I believe the log is in the
Smithsonian.)

   Those who were there KNEW this was a pun, but the analytical
techniques for finding the problem have been known as debugging ever
since.  (Following the logic backwards to find the source of the "bug"
whether physical or logical.)

   And incidently, the origin of the term bug does trace back to
Edison and real bugs.  A whole set of the problems to be resolved when
developing electric lights was caused by bugs flying to the lights and
dying.  Until they were satisfactorily resolved whenever the lights
went out (again) it was just another bug.  (The earliest Edison lights
were base down only, with bare wires connected to screw terminals.  All
the bulbs were connected in parallel.  A single bug could short across
the circut, and take an entire string of lights out.  The solutions of
course were insulated wiring, outdoor bulbs which worked base up, and
finally the screw-in and/or bayonet sockets which shielded all
connections from bugs!)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;