From: eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: random number generation -> PLEASE HELP!
Date: 1996/09/06
Date: 1996-09-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <1996Sep5.165031@nova.wright.edu> jmatthews@nova.wright.edu (Dr. John B. Matthews) writes:

 > Nonsense. GNAT (the GNU Ada compiler from NYU; http://www.gnat.com/)
 > and MacOS (http://www.apple.com) have very satisfactory psuedo-
 > random number generators. The former is available in source from
 > ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat; the latter is shown below...

   Calling the Minimal Standard Random Number Generator good is true
only in comparison to lots of other junk generators out there.  The
generator that comes with GNAT is much better.  If you want the gory
details as to why send me email.  (Or you can just read the published
literature if you want to find out why linear congruential generators
are not very good. Of course, in any case, I really wouldn't trust
implementations which get the credits that badly wrong.  (Among other
things the CACM paper was by Stephen PARK and Keith Miller, but the
generator is actually due to Lewis, Goodman, and Miller. However the
implementation here is apparently from a third source.  The constants
do check out though.)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;