* Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-20  0:00   ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 1996-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am meeting more and more DoD managers and contractors who, at the
management level, are concerned with whether Ada has the staying
power required for them to select it for important projects. While
many of them agree that Ada is probably superior to C++, that superiority
may prove to be of marginal value when weighed against the availability
of tools for C++, programmers in C++, and the myriad of other resources
for C++.

These managers are asking whether Ada will be around for the next ten
years, and if it is, whether there will be cost-effective tools and
compilers to make Ada a good business decision.  They are convinced that
C++ will not go away.  And they believe that C++, with all of its
liabilities, will continue to get better.  This is a powerful argument.

One senior executive at a DoD contracting site asked me to name three
Ada compiler vendors. It was easy to name three, but I realized that
the field has narrowed.  Now name three software companies who provide
testing tools for Ada.  What about three providers of configuration
management tools?  What about other third-party tools?

It is significant, I think, that so many compiler publishers are
paying attention to the need for support of Microsoft Win32 platforms
such as NT. But what about the other software companies who might be
creating tools that work with these compilers?

Perhaps I am simply encountering a lot of such criticism because of the
kind of work I do.  Maybe there are lots more program managers out there
who are enthusiastically embracing Ada.  Someone tell me, please, that
I am simply worrying from too small a sample size.

Richard Riehle

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-21  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You said

"These managers are asking whether Ada will be around for the next ten
years, and if it is, whether there will be cost-effective tools and
compilers to make Ada a good business decision.  They are convinced that
C++ will not go away.  And they believe that C++, with all of its
liabilities, will continue to get better.  This is a powerful argument.
"

I can give a VERY convincing presentation here from a corporate point
of view of why Ada 95 definitely will be around for the long term, and
will continue to improve rapidly. I gave such a presentation for the
Lockheed Martin folks wrt the Aegis program. This is quite an ACT
specific presentation, so nt really suitable for general publication.

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-21  0:00   ` Robert B. Love
From: Robert B. Love  @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rriehle

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.961020165834.4990E-100000@nunic.nu.edu> Richard
Riehle wrote:
> I am meeting more and more DoD managers and contractors who, at the
> management level, are concerned with whether Ada has the staying
> power required for them to select it for important projects. While
> many of them agree that Ada is probably superior to C++, that
superiority
> may prove to be of marginal value when weighed against the
availability
> of tools for C++, programmers in C++, and the myriad of other
resources
> for C++.

Where are the success stories for C++ in large DoD efforts?  Since I
don't
do C++ I don't see them.  Are there any?  We know of Ada success
stories.

I'm hearing rumors of a large C++ "national systems" program that is
failing.
Program is way behind schedule and now the gov't is questioning the
contractor.
I don't know the cause of the failure or if its recoverable.  But this
could
be a C++ failure that should be highlighted.

We need to stress to these managers that there are Ada success stories.

Bob Love, rlove@neosoft.com (local)        MIME & NeXT Mail OK
rlove@raptor.rmnug.org  (permanent)        PGP key available

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-21  0:00     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1996-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.961020165834.4990E-100000@nunic.nu.edu>, Richard Riehle <rriehle@nunic.nu.edu> writes:

> One senior executive at a DoD contracting site asked me to name three
> Ada compiler vendors. It was easy to name three, but I realized that
> the field has narrowed.  Now name three software companies who provide
> testing tools for Ada.  What about three providers of configuration
> management tools?  What about other third-party tools?

Third party tools like LINT  for C ?

Name three aircraft vendors.

Presumably you were successful, but the field is much narrower
than it was in 1925.  I am not convinced it means aircraft are
a dying breed.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-22  0:00       ` whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting)
From: whiting_ms@corning.com (Matt Whiting) @ 1996-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.845905352@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> I can give a VERY convincing presentation here from a corporate point
> of view of why Ada 95 definitely will be around for the long term, and
> will continue to improve rapidly. I gave such a presentation for the
> Lockheed Martin folks wrt the Aegis program. This is quite an ACT
> specific presentation, so nt really suitable for general publication.

Any chance of getting the essence of the argument in a "de-ACTed" and
"de-militarized" form?

I downloaded and took a look at the ce960222.ppt presentation discussed here
recently, and it is one of the better presentations I've yet encountered.
However, it really was quite military oriented and probably wouldn't impress
most corporate execs in non-defense companies.

Matt

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-24  0:00     ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 1996-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Oct 1996, Robert B. Love wrote:

> Where are the success stories for C++ in large DoD efforts?  Since I
> don't do C++ I don't see them.  Are there any?  We know of Ada success
> stories.

  Good question, Robert.  First, let me re-affirm, for those who do
  not know me, that I am a long-standing Ada advocate. The questions
  raised in my original post were intended to raise some discussion,
  not to sound a death knell for Ada.  If I thought Ada was moribund,
  you can be certain I would not be doing what I do every day.

  As to your question, I frequently run into DoD projects that are
  being developed in C++.  And, to my horror, someone recently told
  me that a missile system I thought was being developed in Ada
  (originally was being programmed in Ada) is now flying on software
  coded in  C++.  Unfortunately, this is a DoD project and I need to
  be somewhat circumspect in discussing it.  So that is all I will say.
  If someone with more authority than I have wants to talk about it,
  I would like to see it brought up here.

       [not found] <01BBBF2B.4CB43CC0@idc213.rb.icl.co.uk>
@ 1996-10-25  0:00 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1996-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01BBBF2B.4CB43CC0@idc213.rb.icl.co.uk> Simon Johnston <skj@ACM.ORG> writes:

 > Now evaluate that wealth of C++ tools and see if you end up keeping
 > three products ...

   Name even one where your computer isn't at high risk of flying off
your desk.  And I have a high boiling point.  One of the best selling
points for GNAT and Thomsofts compilers may be Microsoft Visual C++.

   But the problem is that there are lots of people in this industry
who enjoy debugging.  That has got to change...

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Choosing C++ instead of Ada (was What is Ada used for?)
@ 1996-10-25  0:00     ` Kazimir Majorinc
From: Kazimir Majorinc @ 1996-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Think about it on this way: important is only what is good, not what is
popular. Please, do not care about your managers. They are, stupid,
unhonest people who tries to make money without real work again and again.
If you like to programm in any language, do it, if you must to do it in
other language becouse your manager want it, do it, but not help them to
do it to you playing amateur manager. If you are manager quit and find
honest job. I personaly use C++ but I love to read about yout beautiful
language.

Author: Kazimir Majorinc
E-mail: Kazimir.Majorinc@public.srce.hr
        kmajor@public.srce.hr (slightly better)
http:   //public.srce.hr/~kmajor (~7min to USA)
One who knows the secret of the 7th stair

From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1996-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <54gc04$osv@uuneo.neosoft.com> rlove@neosoft.com (Robert B. Love ) writes:

  > Where are the success stories for C++ in large DoD efforts?  Since
  > I don't do C++ I don't see them.  Are there any?  We know of Ada
  > success stories.

    I don't know of any, but I know of some failures. I know of some
VERY successful large projects in Ada, and successful large projects
in C, COBOL (various versions), FORTRAN 66 and 77, Jovial J3, Jovial
J73, CMS-2Y, Lisp, Scheme, and Smalltalk.  Note that successful
projects are more likely than failures to be multilingual.  In fact
the most successful combination seems to be Ada with some C.  But no
successful DoD program that I know of has used a significant amount of
C++.  Fortunately, the failure of C++ systems seems to come before or
during integration, not after deployment.

    I can't speak for MITRE, or even for all DoD software projects
that MITRE has a finger in supporting, but that should be a very
troubling statement to those advocating use of C++ on defense systems.

    By the way, C is not the enemy, and even C++ is not the enemy.
The enemy is the ignorance of software engineering that we see every
day.  If the best language for the job was always chosen, our taxes
would be lower.  (And Ada would be used a lot more often. ;-)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;