From: eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Another measure of Ada's rejection by corporate America
Date: 22 Feb 1995 20:43:02 GMT
Date: 1995-02-22T20:43:02+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <D4DFEH.EDt@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

 > Yet one more measure of the rejection of Ada in this country, and
 > one more statistic that AJPO in its mismanagement of Ada policy
 > refuses to measure.  An article in the February 20, 1995, issue of
 > Computerworld, page 129, on how companies use technical proficiency
 > tests listed the following table on the top 10 computing skills
 > tests being used by corporations...

    Again, Greg totally misses the point.  If I were applying for a
job and was asked to take ANY of these tests, I would walk out.  Any
place interested in my skills is hiring software engineers, not
technicians.

    Even if COBOL or C was my language of choice--and I have
programmed in both (in fact I have maintained compilers for both,
which requires a lot deeper knowledge of the language), I would still
walk out.

    So the only thing shown by these statistics is a combination of
appropriate use (for entry level programmer positions) and preferences
of clueless personel managers.
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;