* Re: 64-bit Integer
@ 1993-06-27  3:10 pa.dec.com!e2big.mko.dec.com!jac.nuo.dec.com!digits.enet.dec.com!brett
From: pa.dec.com!e2big.mko.dec.com!jac.nuo.dec.com!digits.enet.dec.com!brett @ 1993-06-27  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <9306251529.AA05632@eight-ball.boeing.com>, crispen@eight-ball.boein
g.com (crispen) writes...
>Sorry to ask an actual Ada question with no mention of Greg (oh, hell!)
>but does anyone know where I could find some 64-bit integer math in
>Ada?  We've got some DIS data coming in that has a 64-bit integer
>field, and we're planning to work with it on a SPARC and various
>VMEbus computers with Verdix Ada.
>
>Thanks,
>+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>| Bob Crispen                   |   Who will babysit the babysitters?  |
>| crispen@foxy.boeing.com       +--------------------------------------+
>| (205) 461-3296                |Opinions expressed here are mine alone|
>+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

The DEC Ada for OSF/1 AXP [Unix on Alpha] will be supporting 64 bit integers.

/Bevin

* Re: 64-bit Integer
@ 1993-06-28 15:56 Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1993-06-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

.com (crispen) writes:

   > Sorry to ask an actual Ada question with no mention of Greg (oh,
   > hell!)  but does anyone know where I could find some 64-bit
   > integer math in Ada?  We've got some DIS data coming in that has
   > a 64-bit integer field, and we're planning to work with it on a
   > SPARC and various VMEbus computers with Verdix Ada.

   Two answers, both using the ADAR packages...  The based decimal
stuff is slow in the portable version, but supports 18 digits, and the
limit is somewhat arbitrary.  The generic decimal stuff is fast, but
the maximum number of bits available depends on 'MANTISSA of the
floating point type used.  So, on a VAX or IBM mainframe 64-bits is no
problem.  On the SPARC however, this approach is limited to 53 bits...
If you really need 64 bits, I can do a non-portable version which will
work on the SPARC.

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;