From: eachus@mitre-bedford.arpa  (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Public Release of AdaSAGE (Re: Why is the DOE selling AdaSage?)
Date: 12 Feb 93 00:42:35 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.93Feb11102357@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

  >    I know it sickens you guys to consider the use of capitalism in any
  > form, but this is another boneheaded idea when it comes to reuse.  It is
  > bad enough that we have have two DoD reuse centers (DSRO and ASSET);
  > know you want to start a third (and fourth...).

   First, there is NO reason or excuse in what I posted for such
vicious slander.  I work for MITRE.  Most of what we do involves
supporting the government in dealing with commercial contracts.  I
assure you I am not sickened by the idea of capitalism.  However, I
see no reason why the government should not freely release software
developed at public expense, and which has never been proprietary in
any sense of the word.

   Second, even though it is obvious that Greg posted well before
thinking, I feel compelled to respond and point out that everything he
said is wrong.

    1) AdaSAGE will be/is available through DoD and DoE reuse centers
as well as through the Free Software Foundation.

    2) Since INEL (a part of the DoE) developed SAGE over ten years
ago and has actively supported SAGE and AdaSAGE since, anything other
than acknowledging and continuing that role would be stupid.  INEL's
primary role will continue to be development and configuration
management.

    3) I have little experience with AdaSAGE and no recent experience,
but the ordering information lists versions for 80x86, RS/6000, Sun
SPARC, and AT&T 3B2, with PC versions coming in both Alsys and
Meridian versions.  Sounds portable (or at least significantly ported)
to me.

    4)  Last but not least, my only current involvement with AdaSAGE
is as a potential user who thought that the readers of this newsgroup
might be interested in this information.

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

					Robert I. Eachus