From: eachus@mitre-bedford.arpa  (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Navy Counters Ada Mandate?
Date: 11 Dec 92 23:07:08 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <SRCTRAN.92Dec11150428@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory
 Aharonian) writes:

   Talk about a nice big loophole for circumventing the Ada mandate,
   given the uncertainty about how to define when something is COTS
   (i.e. how many copies do I have to sell 1 - 10 - 100?).  For
   example, for a big telecommunications project for the Navy, could
   ATT make a bid based on the millions and millions of lines of C/C++
   code it uses in its commercial networks?

   Sure it could.  If, for example, they bid an ESS4 switch with the
software as an NDI (non-development item) and software support
guarenteed for some number of years at a fixed price per year.  The
number of copies of the product that ATT sells it part of the overall
risk assesment.

   Now if ATT says, "We are going to use our existing software but
modify it to meet your requirements.  The code development will cost
$X million dollars, and take N months."  Now the Ada mandate kicks
in...

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;