From: eachus@aries.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: LOC Lines of Code debate
Date: 1 Apr 91 15:22:27	[thread overview]

     How about the number of documented decisions made? (I'd count
undocumented too if I could figure a reasonable way to do so.)  One of
the reasons I find that "productivity" in non-comment LOC is so much
lower in Ada package specifications, is that the interface (and stated
listed pre- and post- conditions make the actual implementation of
many bodies no brainers.  Use of a design language like Anna or Byron
should make it fairly easy to pick up and count such decisions.

     A simpler approximate measure (for well written Ada) is the
number of declarative items, since each type, task, subroutine, or
object declaration tends to embody about the same number of design
decisions.  (Poorly written code on the other hand tends to have lots
of "junk" variable declarations--many often unused.)

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...