From: eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus)
Subject: Re: Generic problem in VAX-Ada 2.1
Date: 8 Jun 90 19:29:05 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <20120@grebyn.com> karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:

   I'm not a language lawyer either (where's Bob Eachus when you need
   him - probably on his way to Dublin...

     Not yet... This case looks like a compiler bug pure and simple,
so I thought I'd give DEC a chance to respond first.  AI-37 is just a
red herring here (it deals with record subtypes with default
discriminants).

     The program as written appears to be legal, but whether this
particular use of UNCHECKED_CONVERSION must be accepted is currently
being studied, as is whether it is meaningful on all implementations
or has an implementation defined meaning.  I would personally write
this conversion function in a portable manner, and hope that the
optimizer was good enough to just do a straight copy where possible.
The overead of the read and write operations will probably swamp any
slowdown due a portable copy, and may also result in better checking.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...