From: kst@sd.aonix.com (Keith Thompson)
Subject: Re: Ada UK web pages
Date: 1997/04/24
Date: 1997-04-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> Brian said
>
> <<HTML 3.2 reference document as released on the 14 Jan 97 may be found
> at http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-html32.html .  This is not ISO or
> BSI but it is produced by the standards group of the Web.>>
>
> OK, fine, that's what I thought (that there is no standard in the legal
> sense for the Web, this is just an "industry" standard). The distinction
> is a significant one, especially since the original message was trying
> to draw a connection between the Ada "standard" and the Web "standard",
> but in fact they are standardized in quite a different meaning of the
> word -- and what is important is that Ada has a legal standard. I am
> not saying that industry "standards" are not important, they are often
> quite important, just that we have two very different meanings of the
> word, which should not be confused.

But ISO, ANSI, and BSI are all non-governmental organizations.  I'm not
100% sure about BSI, but the ISO and ANSI web sites state this very
clearly.  See:

    <http://www.iso.ch>
    <http://www.ansi.org>
    <http://www.bsi.org.uk>

ISO is admittedly more widely recognized as a standards body than, say,
W3C or even IEEE, but I don't see any *fundamental* sense in which an
ISO standard is more "legal" than a industry standard from some other
organization.  Ada 83 was also a U.S. military standard as well as an
ANSI/ISO standard, but I don't think Ada 95 is.

(On the other hand, even W3C refers to HTML 3.2 as a "Recommendation"
rather than a standard.)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@sd.aonix.com <http://www.aonix.com> <*>
TeleSo^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsy^H^H^H^H Thomson Softw^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Aonix