* New Language Mandate
@ 1997-04-01  0:00 Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 1997-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Readers of this newsgroup are by now well aware that the DoD has said
they would drop the requirement that contractors use Ada.  I've
received some further news on this subject.  DoD has decided that they
need a mandated language, but because of resistance to Ada, they've
decided to try using a different language as the mandated language.
Therefore, as of April 1, 1997 (today), all DoD contractors will be
required to write their software in the Intercal language.  Emmett R.
Paige, Jr., defended the choice of Intercal, saying "It's a widely
used language, and the syntax is very similar to most other computer
languages in existence today.  So we expect that programmers of all
backgrounds will be comfortable with this choice.  We don't expect
much resistance to it."  Contractors who wish to use a different
language will have to request a waiver, and they will need to
demonstrate a significant reason why it makes sense to waive the
requirement.  "In particular", said Paige, "the fact that Intercal is
a joke language will *not* be considered an acceptable reason for
granting a waiver request."

                                -- Adam

* Re: New Language Mandate
@ 1997-04-02  0:00 ` Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1997-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Therefore, as of April 1, 1997 (today), all DoD contractors will be
>required to write their software in the Intercal language.  Emmett R.
>Paige, Jr., defended the choice of Intercal, saying "It's a widely
>used language, and the syntax is very similar to most other computer
>languages in existence today.  So we expect that programmers of all
>backgrounds will be comfortable with this choice.  We don't expect
>much resistance to it."

I also heard that, as of today, Emettt Paige is resigning, the first high
level DoD official since World War II to take responsibility for massive
fraud, waste and corruption that occured under his command of DISA.
"I should have spoken up earlier as DoD contractors misled and lied to the
DoD about their committment to the Ada Mandate and the use of Ada", he said.
"My last act, though, to give Ada a dignified death, is to fire the current
head of AJPO, John Hamilton, for continuing the established DoD/AJPO policy of
making misleading statements about Ada and Ada policy and refusing to seek
out the truth".

Greg "preparing my lawsuit" Aharonian

* Re: New Language Mandate
@ 1997-04-03  0:00 ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1997-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

More information on Intercal, including a free implementation, is
available at <http://www.ccil.org/retro/retromuseum.html>.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@sd.aonix.com <http://www.aonix.com> <*>
TeleSo^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsy^H^H^H^H Thomson Softw^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Aonix