* URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-04 14:28 Rohit Sharma
From: Rohit Sharma @ 2001-03-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have posted at least 4 messages on as many news groups but have nt
received a single reply. This is quite in contrast to the VB newsgroups
which I frequent. So I am now making a desperate appeal for help from some
Ada  guru. !!

I am working on some legacy code (1992-96). The code is for a DLL. The DLL
is compiled using VC++. The DLL uses some *.obj files which are compiled
using GNAT 3.04. The compilation of ADA code as well as DLL works perferctly
well with 3.04 + VC combination.

I have now to edit some of the ADA code to read a Microsoft Access database.
I have the example for DCOM/COM using GNATCOM 1.3p which again works very
well using GNAT 3.13. But I cannot compile the old ADA code (perviously
compiled using 3.04) using 3.13. The problem is that the 3.04 compiles the
packages to *.obj files and the 3.13 compiles them to *.O files. MS VC
compiler does not seem to like *.O files (even if renamed to *.obj).

I admit I am not an ADA expert and in desperate need to help !! So any help
on the following would be helpful.:

1. Can i read access database using 3.04 ?
---OR----
2. Can I compile ADA code to *.obj file using 3.13 (like 3.04 does).
----OR----
3. Will gnatcom 1.3p work in 3.04 ?

Thanks in anticipation

Rohit

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-04 17:33 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-03-04 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <tcso6.9142$925.850131@news6-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "Rohit Sharma" <r.sharma.1998@cranfield.ac.uk> writes:
> I have posted at least 4 messages on as many news groups but have nt
> received a single reply. This is quite in contrast to the VB newsgroups
> which I frequent. So I am now making a desperate appeal for help from some
> Ada  guru. !!

You are much more likely to receive a response if you use a relevant
title.  If you look at the title you used from the viewpoint of others,
you will see there is absolutely _no_ indication of what problem you
are trying to solve, and thus no reason for anyone to open and read
it.

Your title seems aimed mainly at attracting sympathetic folk, but
that is _much_ less effective than attracting those who might know
the answer.

As for Visual Basic, if you think about it that is a single tool
used on a single operating system, Microsoft Windows.  Here in
comp.lang.ada you have people using a wide variety of compilers
on a wide variety of operating systems, so some narrowing down
of the subject will serve you better.

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-04 19:38   ` Rohit Sharma
From: Rohit Sharma @ 2001-03-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You are much more likely to receive a response if you use a relevant
> title.  If you look at the title you used from the viewpoint of others,
> you will see there is absolutely _no_ indication of what problem you
> are trying to solve, and thus no reason for anyone to open and read
> it.
>
> Your title seems aimed mainly at attracting sympathetic folk, but
> that is _much_ less effective than attracting those who might know
> the answer.

You will see that there are at least 4 mails from me with *relevant* titles
unaswered. I only wish you had answered the question insted of this no use
moral lecture !!

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-04 20:31 ` Georg Bauhaus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2001-03-04 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rohit Sharma (r.sharma.1998@cranfield.ac.uk) wrote:

: 2. Can I compile ADA code to *.obj file using 3.13 (like 3.04 does).

Hmm... According to the features file in the Windows NT
3.13p distribution, linking of MS linker compatible object format
files is possible, not using GNU ld but the Microsoft
linker.  I haven't studied the Windows specific chapters in the GNAT
doc files, but recall a section on mixed language programming
and different compilers.  Sorry I can't give specifics.
Maybe this is something to be adressed to the GNAT specific
mailing list?

Georg Bauhaus

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-04 20:55 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2001-03-04 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>The problem is that the 3.04 compiles the
>packages to *.obj files and the 3.13 compiles them to *.O files.
  This is a Gnat (or GNU?) problem.  If you have a support contract with
ACT they should answer this question.  Surely there is a utility to
convert .o to the .obj files everyone else uses.  Have you searched the
Gnat documentation?  How about the gnatcom info at www.adapower.com?  The
GNU stuff?  The Gnat chat mailing list has apparently disappeared but
somebody who knows how to do this will surely turn up on c.l.a.  and
answer your question, probably even on a Sunday.

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-03-05  9:58 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 2001-03-05  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rohit Sharma wrote in message ...
>I have posted at least 4 messages on as many news groups but have nt
>received a single reply. This is quite in contrast to the VB newsgroups
>which I frequent. So I am now making a desperate appeal for help from some
>Ada  guru. !!

You are posting this on a saturday. Most people in this group have a life and
(hopefully) do other things than programming on weekends. AND they do not like
that somebody demands answers.

The VB group has a lot of hobbyists and they are  active on weekends.

Greetings,

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
@ 2001-03-05 12:40     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-03-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ELwo6.9129$mt.1359136@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "Rohit Sharma" <r.sharma.1998@cranfield.ac.uk> writes:
>> You are much more likely to receive a response if you use a relevant
>> title.  If you look at the title you used from the viewpoint of others,
>> you will see there is absolutely _no_ indication of what problem you
>> are trying to solve, and thus no reason for anyone to open and read
>> it.
>>
>> Your title seems aimed mainly at attracting sympathetic folk, but
>> that is _much_ less effective than attracting those who might know
>> the answer.
>
> You will see that there are at least 4 mails from me with *relevant* titles
> unaswered. I only wish you had answered the question insted of this no use
> moral lecture !!

Mails ?  This is a newsgroup.

I do not understand why you would want an answer from me, since I know
nothing about the topic.  That is the point of relevant titles - to
attract only those who know the subject.

There are sometimes questions for which nobody knows the answer (although
other responses indicate this is not such a case).

* Re: URGENT - Someone out there can help me !!
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-03-07 21:52 ` Mark Lundquist
From: Mark Lundquist @ 2001-03-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rohit Sharma <r.sharma.1998@cranfield.ac.uk> wrote in message
> I have posted at least 4 messages on as many news groups but have nt
> received a single reply. This is quite in contrast to the VB newsgroups
> which I frequent. So I am now making a desperate appeal for help from some
> Ada  guru. !!

You don't need an Ada guru, you need a GNAT / GNATCOM guru.

(I'm not one... :-)

Mark Lundquist