From: Rich Maggio <maggior@world2u.com>
Subject: GDB with GNAT 3.04 for DOS
Date: 1996/12/21
Date: 1996-12-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I just finished a class in data structures and learned ADA at the same time.
I used the GNAT 3.04 Ada compiler for DOS for all of my projects.  After I
ramped up on my learning curve of Ada, I decided to explore the debugger,
since I figured it was time since my assignments were getting more complex.
I am a C programmer, so I am more than aware of the importance of being
"one with your debugger" :-).

I was able to get around the debugger except for one case.  I found that I
could not step into code that existed in a generic package.  The debugger
seemed to go off into nowhere land - referencing random lines of code in my
source.  It did not generate any error messages or anything.

Since the class was a data structures class, the meat of my projects lived in
generic packages.  Is this a known issue?  Is the only workaround to make the
package non-generic, work out the bugs in the logic, and then make it generic?
This worked for me, but was a bit cumbersome at times.  If this is the only
way around the issue, someone may want to update the documents to reflect this.

I read through all of the docs that I had (I downloaded the EZ2LOAD package)
and not only did not find any reference to this issue, but no references to
Ada.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
Rich Maggio