* Re: Ada95 Compiler for a Macintosh?
@ 1996-10-29  0:00 ` Anita Holmgren
From: Anita Holmgren @ 1996-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Shawley wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about GNAT's plans on
> releasing an Ada95 compiler for the Mac. (The current one is nothing
> more than a plug-in for MPW/CW?!? (right?)). I was looking for
> something along the lines of GWUAda. I have the Ada83 release, but
> a class that I'm taking will soon be moving beyond the Ada95 features
> that are also in Ada83.

The GNAT-Mac Ada95 compiler has been ported to MachTen for both Mac
and Power Mac.  So, today, you can buy MachTen (at the 50% educational
discount) and have an Ada95 development environment on your Mac.  On
Power Macs, you can even develop pure Mac applications from this Ada
UNIX environment.

Check out:http://www.tenon.com  and http://gnat-mac.com/macada/

-Anita

* Ada95 Compiler for a Macintosh?
@ 1996-10-29  0:00 Dave Shawley
From: Dave Shawley @ 1996-10-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about GNAT's plans on
releasing an Ada95 compiler for the Mac. (The current one is nothing
more than a plug-in for MPW/CW?!? (right?)). I was looking for
something along the lines of GWUAda. I have the Ada83 release, but
a class that I'm taking will soon be moving beyond the Ada95 features
that are also in Ada83.

	- D. Shawley

* Re: Ada95 Compiler for a Macintosh?
@ 1996-10-30  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1996-10-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Shawley (dshawley@bearcat.ecsel.psu.edu) wrote:

: I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about GNAT's plans on
: releasing an Ada95 compiler for the Mac. (The current one is nothing
: more than a plug-in for MPW/CW?!? (right?)). I was looking for
: something along the lines of GWUAda. I have the Ada83 release, but
: a class that I'm taking will soon be moving beyond the Ada95 features
: that are also in Ada83.

There is something available along the lines of "GWUAda" for the Mac,
in that it generates code which is then interpreted.  The product,
"AppletMagic(tm)," generates Java byte-codes from Ada 95.  A version
for the Mac is available for download at:

   http://www.inmet.com/javadir/download/

It can build both Java-compatible applets and applications.

There is also a version of GNAT which run's on top of Tenon's MachTen
for the Mac.  This version of GNAT is freely available, but Tenon's MachTen
is a commercial product.

: 	- D. Shawley

Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA