* Books for Beginners
@ 1996-10-24  0:00 m
From: m @ 1996-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

Seems like my last post lost all the text in transition somewhere.  Anyway
though the library here at the Univ. Of Alaska, Fairbanks has a number of
books on Ada, none of them are younger or more current then the mid 1980's.

Any recommendations on authors/titles to look for in the current realm?
Are there books that are more current?  Anyway I am checking out a couple
of the beginner/intro to ada books from 80 and 82 I think.

You can reply to me personally rather than the newsgroup if you like:

Bob Parzick
fsrfp@aurora.alaska.edu
bparzick@bravo.imagi.net

Thanks for any help you can give me.

* Re: Books for Beginners
@ 1996-10-26  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1996-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <54ou21$sjp@news.alaska.edu>, fsrfp@aurora.alaska.edu (m) wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Seems like my last post lost all the text in transition somewhere.  Anyway
>though the library here at the Univ. Of Alaska, Fairbanks has a number of
>books on Ada, none of them are younger or more current then the mid 1980's.
>
>Any recommendations on authors/titles to look for in the current realm?
>Are there books that are more current?  Anyway I am checking out a couple
>of the beginner/intro to ada books from 80 and 82 I think.

Visit the books page at <www.adahome.com>.

If you want a book for beginners, then David Naiditch's book or Mike
Feldman's book should do the trick.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
mheaney@ni.net
(818) 985-1271

* Re: Books for Beginners
@ 1996-10-28  0:00 ` Stephen M O'Shaughnessy
From: Stephen M O'Shaughnessy @ 1996-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <54ou21$sjp@news.alaska.edu>, fsrfp@aurora.alaska.edu
says...

>Hi:
>
>Any recommendations on authors/titles to look for in the current
realm?
>Are there books that are more current?  Anyway I am checking out
a couple
>of the beginner/intro to ada books from 80 and 82 I think.
>
>You can reply to me personally rather than the newsgroup if you
like:

>Bob Parzick
>fsrfp@aurora.alaska.edu
>bparzick@bravo.imagi.net
>
>Thanks for any help you can give me.

I recommend Ada Problem Solving and Program Design by Feldman and
Koffman.  I used it in a two semester intro to programming class.
I am now taking a data structures class using a different text.
Half the class still brings the Feldman book to class as a
reference.

* Re: Books for Beginners
@ 1996-10-28  0:00 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1996-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

m (fsrfp@aurora.alaska.edu) wrote:
: Hi:

: Any recommendations on authors/titles to look for in the current realm?
: Are there books that are more current?

There are several good books out (or to be out) on Ada95.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my own book, due out "very soon".
It's "Ada 95: The Lovelace Tutorial" by David A. Wheeler,
published by Spinger-Verlag.  It's an introductory book on Ada95 for those
who know another programming language.

--- David A. Wheeler
    dwheeler@ida.org