* Re: Books for Ada83 & Ada95
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <32487b30.421145@news.loxinfo.co.th>, paulg@loxinfo.co.th wrote:

>I'm interesting in learning more about Ada. I have been programming
>the last 10 years, C, C++, Delphi, Oberon adn a bit Modula-3.
>
>I already downloaded the GNAT compiler for NT. Basically I would like
>to get a feel for Ada and see if my company can use it in any way.

Do you want to increase your productivity?  Do you want to write software
that is correct?  Then your company can use Ada!

That Ada will improve your productivity is fact, not mere claim.  If you
need some published justification about Ada's efficacy, then see

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Ammo/Industry.html

>I'm looking for good introduction books on the language

Check out this list:

http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/FAQ/learning.html#books

I think that David Naiditch's book, Rendevous with Ada 95, is very easy.
John Barnes book, Programming in Ada 95, is also a good introduction.

If you want a heavy book (literally and figuratively), then Norm Cohen's
Ada as a Second Language is very, very good, but is probably better as the
second Ada book to read, and after you've been programming in Ada for a
while.

>Paul Sjoerdsma
>Straight Line Solutions Co. Ltd.

Matt

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
mheaney@ni.net
(818) 985-1271

* Re: Books for Ada83 & Ada95
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Sjoerdsma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interesting in learning more about Ada. I have been programming
> the last 10 years, C, C++, Delphi, Oberon adn a bit Modula-3.
>
> I already downloaded the GNAT compiler for NT. Basically I would like
> to get a feel for Ada and see if my company can use it in any way.
>
> I'm looking for good introduction books on the language
>
> TIA
> Paul
> Paul Sjoerdsma
> Straight Line Solutions Co. Ltd.
> Managing Director
> Bangkok, Thailand

Welcome,

Check out http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/  ("The Home of the Brave Ada
Programmer").  There is lots of info about Ada there including an
excellent list of Ada books compiled by Professor Feldman, an author
of some very good Ada books himself.

Good luck.

== Jerry Petrey  - Consultant Software Engineer - Member Team Ada   ==
==                  Rockwell Collins Commercial Avionics Group      ==
==                  Melbourne, FL   email: gdp@mlb.cca.rockwell.com ==

* Books for Ada83 & Ada95
@ 1996-09-25  0:00 Paul Sjoerdsma
From: Paul Sjoerdsma @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

@ 1996-09-25  0:00 ` j. doe
From: j. doe @ 1996-09-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

actually, before you go buying any intro books you might check out the
following web page:

    http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.html

though i knew ada already going in, i've run through the entire tutorial, and
it seems like an excellent interactive tool for someone just getting in to
the language.  you can go through the whole thing, page by page, or you can
pick and choose the topics you would like help on.  there are lots of
examples and little quizzes.  highly recommended.

* Re: Books for Ada83 & Ada95
@ 1996-09-28  0:00   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1996-09-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's now at <http://www.adahome.com/>, though the old address still works.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@thomsoft.com <*>
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products

* Re: Books for Ada83 & Ada95
@ 1996-09-30  0:00     ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1996-09-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have written some notes for our students. They are certainly not
comprehensive (they don't discuss fixed point for example), but are
well regarded by our students.

The URL is...

	http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/ada/aln.html

Dale