From: bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff)
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.04a & Environment space
Date: 1996/08/16
Date: 1996-08-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4v0q0e$cbq@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
JSilva1313 <jsilva1313@aol.com> wrote:
>I recently downloaded the GNAT Ada compiler version 3.04a for Windows95
>but have been unable to install it properly.
>
>Regardless as to what I set the Initial Environment to, or anything else
>for that matter, I always run out of environment space when I try to run
>setpath.bat.

I recently succeeded in installing it.  I'm new to win95, so I had to
fiddle a bit to get the env space thing right.  Apparently, I had
several ways of calling up the MSDOS prompt.  And some of those ways
listened to the "initial env" of 1024, whereas some did not.  Yuck!  (I
can't *believe* this nonsense still exists in this day and age.  1024
bytes is only about 0.00004 of my physical memory, and I don't have a
big machine.  Sheesh.)

Try clicking right at the top of the MSDOS window, select "properties",
and then go from there.  But I think you have to reboot for it to take
effect.

I also had luck with putting "call ...\setpath" in my autoexec.bat file.
I don't know if this solves the env space problem, but it has the
advantage that all processes will inherit these env vars.  In
particular, GNU emacs will inherit them -- IMHO, the most civilized way
to run GNAT is to use Ada mode in Emacs, and run gnatmake from the
compile command.

In case you're curious, I found a GNU Emacs for windows 95 and NT,
already built, at ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ntemacs/latest.
It seemed easier to me than building from sources.  It worked fine after
some fiddling with the --geometry switch.

I have been unable to determine if gdb works under win95, (either with
or without the Ada-specific extensions).

- Bob