From: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk)
Subject: Re: Concurrency in Gnat 3.05?
Date: 1996/07/18
Date: 1996-07-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Spasmo (cosc19z5@Bayou.UH.EDU) wrote:

: Is Gnat 3.05 (for DOS) truly concurrent when executing tasks?

The theoretical answer is: no, of course not, if you are running
on a single processor.

But what you probably wanted to ask is: does GNAT/DOS do multi-tasking ?
The answer, yes. But not pre-emptive tasking, what seems to be what you
expected, but cooperative tasking.

>  I'm
: asking because I've written some tasking code (finally got it
: to link) and when I ran the code, the tasks didn't run
: concurrently at all.  I'm running in a Win95 DOS box.

I'm not using Win95 but when I was playing around with the tasking
like that I sprinkeled it with small delay statements to ask for a task
switch...

: or would I have to look for a
: GNAT that's native to something like WinNT/95 that can
: handle multi-tasking?

You might, but I am not sure if the Win/NT version will map to native threads
under Win95.

--  Jerry van Dijk       --   e-mail: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl  --
--  Banking Consultant   --              Member Team-Ada             --
--  Ordina Finance BV    --    Located at Haarlem, The Netherlands   --