* GNAT 3.10: Decriminators for tasks ?
@ 1996-07-15  0:00 Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 1996-07-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I like to do something like this:

    TASK TYPE  OS_Application( p : Application_Class );

    TASK BODY OS_Application( p : Application_Class ) IS
    BEGIN
    END OS_Applications ;

I allways get the message "descriminant part not allowed in task body",
but found some examples like this in the Ada 95 rationale section about
tasks. What is wrong ??

Michael

* Re: GNAT 3.10: Decriminators for tasks ?
@ 1996-07-15  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-07-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

iMichael said

"I allways get the message "descriminant part not allowed in task body",
but found some examples like this in the Ada 95 rationale section about
tasks. What is wrong ??"

It is quite clear from the syntax that a discriminant part is not allowed
in the task body. The rationale is NOT an Ada tutorial or primer, and it
contains a number of errors, some of them are just plain errors, others
of them result from late changes in the language. The rationale is good
for a general understanding of what is in Ada 95 and why, but you need
a more complete description to actually write code!

* Re: GNAT 3.10: Decriminators for tasks ?
@ 1996-07-18  0:00   ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1996-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <dewar.837465691@schonberg> dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
[...]
> It is quite clear from the syntax that a discriminant part is not allowed
> in the task body. The rationale is NOT an Ada tutorial or primer, and it
> contains a number of errors, some of them are just plain errors, others
> of them result from late changes in the language. The rationale is good
> for a general understanding of what is in Ada 95 and why, but you need
> a more complete description to actually write code!

In defense of the rationale, I'm pretty sure it does not contain any
examples showing a discriminant part on a task body.  I think the orginal
poster just misread it (we exchanged e-mail).

I'm also curious how he got a copy of GNAT 3.10.  8-)}

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@thomsoft.com <*>
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products