From: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk)
Subject: Re: Gnat For use at Question
Date: 1996/07/13
Date: 1996-07-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Laurent Guerby (guerby@gnat.com) wrote:

: Spasmo> Hmmmm ok, well here's a question about To_Address.  Since PC's
: Spasmo> use segment, base addressing,

:    This is a question for a DJGPP master I guess.

Now, I couldn't let that pass, could I ?

The segment:offset adressing is something that belongs to the real-mode
domain. As djgpp (and thus GNAT/DOS) is a protected mode eviroment it
uses the full 32-bit physical addressing. (Physical := 16 * segment + offset).
Instead of a segment, protected mode uses a selector, but a selectors memory
range can be 4 Gb, instead of real-mode's 64K.

--  Jerry van Dijk       --   e-mail: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl  --
--  Banking Consultant   --              Member Team-Ada             --
--  Ordina Finance BV    --    Located at Haarlem, The Netherlands   --