From: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk)
Subject: A Text_IO question I never dared to ask...
Date: 1996/07/01
Date: 1996-07-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

----------------------------
-- Stupid question ahead! --
----------------------------

This is something that has been bugging me for some time, but to which I
still cannot find a reasonable answer:

	Why is there no record (or even file) locking in Text_IO ???

Ada was clearly designed be be usable in multi-tasking and even
distributed environments. But absolutely needed in such environments is
controlling file access. So why is this missing ?

Yes, I realize that the implementation of a locking mechanism is
platform dependent. But so is tasking.

Is it because Text_IO should also work on terminals ? But then why not
adding another child package that adds file locking ?

For now the only GNAT solution that has a chance for being portable is
AFAIK using something like a Posix binding. But that only seems
available for GNAT/Linux at the moment. And the standard itself is
(expensive) propriety. And why go to a external binding when for most
basic stuff the Text_IO package is perfectly usable ?

I keep wondering...

--  Jerry van Dijk       --   e-mail: jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl  --
--  Banking Consultant   --              Member Team-Ada             --
--  Ordina Finance BV    --    Located at Haarlem, The Netherlands   --