* Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-19  0:00 David Kristola
From: David Kristola @ 1996-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
would be nice to avoid if possible.

Thanks,
david kristola

* Re: Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-19  0:00 ` Mike Bishop
From: Mike Bishop @ 1996-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
> produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
> would be nice to avoid if possible.

ICS markets a package called Ada Xcessories. You can get more information at
http://www.ics.com.

--
| Mike Bishop         | How come they can make a potato chip in |
| mbishop@ghgcorp.com | one second, but it takes us months to   |

* Re: Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-20  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
> produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
> would be nice to avoid if possible.

Altia (from Alsys) does this. Black&White's UIM/Ada for HP/UX also does this, but
I don't know if they have a Solaris port. These are both Motif GUI builders, so
you must work with Motif-level widgets. If you want X-level stuff like gauges,
rotating knobs, or graphic pictures with hot spots, you will still have to do it
manually. I don't know of any X-based GUI builders that generate Ada.

One big problem with going this route is that GUI-builder products will tie you in to
their proprietary runtimes, if you are not careful.

The solution I generally reccomend for folks (who can work at the Motif-level) is
to use a Motif GUI builder that can generate and read UIL. UIL is a separate language
than Ada, but the UIL compiler comes with all Motif systems, and will catch
inconsistencies and errors that would look like perfectly good code to a C or Ada
compiler. UIL is also completely portable across all Motif implementations (of the
same version). If you want to change platforms, or even Motif GUI builders, you
have that option. With other implementations you are tied to your GUI-builer vendor,
and their supported platforms, for life. There are even some tools available to
translate UIL into Windows GUI code! Interfacing Ada to UIL object files (.uid) is
trivial. Its just a matter of 3 Motif calls (+ one for each widget you want to use
directly).

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Theodore E. Dennison wrote:

> David Kristola wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
> > produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
> > would be nice to avoid if possible.
>
> Altia (from Alsys) does this. Black&White's UIM/Ada for HP/UX also does this, but

Bzzzzz! Wrong.

Sorry about the brain-fart above. I was thinking of TELEUSE from
Alsys. Altia is an X-based GUI builder we use here which does NOT
generate Ada (but Ada bindings to it aren't too tough to make).

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |
                |  Home - mailto:dennison@iag.net              |
                |  URL  - http://www.iag.net/~dennison         |

* AW: Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-20  0:00 ` Fachet
From: Fachet @ 1996-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Take a look on

http://www.thomsoft.com/products/teleuse/teleuse_ada_ds.html
--
Ralf Fachet <fachet@thomsoft.de>

* Re: Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-20  0:00   ` RICHARD A MAFFEI
From: RICHARD A MAFFEI @ 1996-06-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Theodore E. Dennison wrote:

> David Kristola wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
> > produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
> > would be nice to avoid if possible.
>
> Altia (from Alsys) does this. Black&White's UIM/Ada for HP/UX also does this, but
> I don't know if they have a Solaris port. These are both Motif GUI builders, so
> you must work with Motif-level widgets. If you want X-level stuff like gauges,
> rotating knobs, or graphic pictures with hot spots, you will still have to do it
> manually. I don't know of any X-based GUI builders that generate Ada.
>
> One big problem with going this route is that GUI-builder products will tie you in to
> their proprietary runtimes, if you are not careful.
>
> The solution I generally reccomend for folks (who can work at the Motif-level) is
> to use a Motif GUI builder that can generate and read UIL. UIL is a separate language
> than Ada, but the UIL compiler comes with all Motif systems, and will catch
> inconsistencies and errors that would look like perfectly good code to a C or Ada
> compiler. UIL is also completely portable across all Motif implementations (of the
> same version). If you want to change platforms, or even Motif GUI builders, you
> have that option. With other implementations you are tied to your GUI-builer vendor,
> and their supported platforms, for life. There are even some tools available to
> translate UIL into Windows GUI code! Interfacing Ada to UIL object files (.uid) is
> trivial. Its just a matter of 3 Motif calls (+ one for each widget you want to use
> directly).
>
> --
> T.E.D.
>                 |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |
>                 |  Home - mailto:dennison@iag.net              |
>                 |  URL  - http://www.iag.net/~dennison         |

Century Computing's TAE Plus is an X/Motif GUI builder (provides Motif widgets as well
as X gadgets like gauges and dials) that generates Ada code.  TAE Plus also generates
UIL or resource files and runs on a multitude of platforms (Suns, HPs).  More info
can be found at http://www.cen.com.

* Re: Looking for Ada GUI builder for Sun
@ 1996-06-21  0:00     ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1996-06-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kristola wrote:

> Does anyone know of a GUI builder (X/Motif/whatever) for Sun (Solaris 2.5) that
> produces Ada code?  I don't mind working with mixed language programs, but it
> would be nice to avoid if possible.

Objective Interface Systems specializes in Ada-supportive tools like
this.    Bill.Beckwith@OIS.com is a contact.

Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA