From: jschafer1@iquest.net
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.01 Source For OS/2
Date: 1996/05/05
Date: 1996-05-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
> Subject: Re: GNAT 3.01 Source For OS/2
> Date: 3 May 1996 14:39:15 -0400
>
> Frankly I did not bother to read this whole diatribe, though I have stashed
> it away in case I do later, but I will address one point:

   OH.  So you simply ignore the issues to the best of your ability.

> In fact we debug and release with checks off and assertions on. Our
> assertion approach is very complete, and our experience was that
> constraint checks
>
> a) never found a single real bug

   OH.  So the improper initialization of a Decriminant_Constraint when
deriving tagged types is NOT a real bug ?????

> b) did cause some bombs that were not real bugs in the sense that if
> constraint checks were off, the functoinality would be correct.

   OH.  So the assertion error caused by the inproper initialization of
the Discriminant_Constraint field is NOT an error in the program either ????
Since the range check would have caught it, and you don't concider range
checking usefull, it must not be a problem that the compiler fails with
an assertion error when you DO turn off range checks ????

> All the cases we found were confusions between Natural and Integer, which
> of course are just fixed by using the right subtype.

   OH.  So you admit your coders where confused about the differences between
Natural and Integer and you chose to hide the problem rather then make a
simple change in the source code ????  Had these coders ever used Ada in the
real world before working on GNAT ????

> We prefer to test with exactly the same options we use for release, which
> is why we tend not to use the constraint checks for internal testing either.
> It is true that it would be a good idea to run occasionally to smoke out
> problems like this, but they are hardly high priority problems given that
> they don't affect user programs!

  OH.  Croaking programs are NOT a problem ?!?!?

> But just to be clear, the 3.03 releases exactly match the 3.03 sources
> if you build in the standard manner, which everyone else seems to have
> no trouble doing.

  OH.  So there is some magical way in which people get informed that the
makefile distributed with the 3.03 source has the WRONG switches in it ????

> P.S. the problem with actual subtypes is subtle, not something I would
> expect to be easily noticed -- after all this fix was not put on till
> later.

  OH.  So I SHOULDN"T notice a change from 2-3 mins compile time to over
36 hours for the SAME unit ?????   I guess it is just rediculous for me
to assume that GNAT should be usable on a machine with less than 32-64 Mb
of memory ????

> By the way, the 3.01 sources are and always have been at cs.nyu.edu
> as far as I know. Several people emailed me to tell me they were there!

  OH.  So you make claims without checking it out first !!!!!

> Going back to the constraint error situation, I can actually give the
> specific example where this caused trouble. In the 2.04 release, ew
> had a problem that certain error messages caused constraint errors.
> There weren't any instances of these messages in our regression suite
> so we had missed this (now of course there are dozens of instances of
> those messages).
>
> This turned out to be just a matter of natural vs integer. We had turned
> on constraint checks for the release to increase the reliability, and
> oddly, if had significantly decreased the reliability. That was the point
> at which we realized that constraint chceks had never been useful to us
> anyway given our assertions (which are pretty extensive, the front end
> spends 80-90% of the execution time executing assertion statements),
> so we removed them and never put them back.

   OH.  So you found out that if you make incorrect code the compiler makes
it glaringly obvious, so you chose to hide your mistakes !!!!

> Actually in the near future, we may release without the assertion checks.
> It is possible that the constraint checks will then prove useful again,
> we are currently making some measurements to find out what the best
> apporach is.

   OH.  No doubt to hide the assertion errors generated because you didn't
fix the bugs found with range checking.

> As for the unsatisfied customer here, I guess that just goes to show you
> cannot make everyone happy. We will be happy to refund what he paid for
> GNAT, since he does not think it is worth it :-)

   OH.  You still can't get it into your head that I don't WANT the
executables ACT produces.  I prefer to build the compiler from source so
I know exactly what I am getting.  And your "unstatisfied customer" idea is
rediculous.  You can claim me as a customer when you get some cash from me.
But that's not going to happen anytime soon  :-)

Joe Schafer
jschafer@iquest.net