* Ada Docs/Books - Elaboration, other complex stuff
@ 2000-01-11  0:00 Sploo
From: Sploo @ 2000-01-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any good papers or books on the 'complex' features
of Ada 95? I seem to run into quite a few problems due to elaboration,
tasking and other such issues.

Having come to Ada from a Pascal and C/C++ background if find the
level of documentation for Ada to be dire... All the Ada books I've
seen gloss over the complex stuff (like what to do when it all goes
wrong). I don't need another book to tell me how to print my name on
the screen, I'm after some hardcore documentation.

Anyone know of anything suitable?

Thanks,

Sploo.

PS I'm using the GNAT compiler.

* Re: Ada Docs/Books - Elaboration, other complex stuff
@ 2000-01-11  0:00 ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2000-01-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the nice things about Ada is that so much design documents are out
there, giving you a glimpse into the reasoning behind the scenes. Actually
I was wonderring awhile ago about building a course arround all these.

Things worth looking for (you can use links from my homepage below,
adapower and the outdated but still usefull adahome):
 - LRM & Rational - These are, naturally, a must.
 - AARM (Annotated RM) - This contains alot of issue about implementation
   etc. Elaboartion and so on.
 - LSN - Langugae Study Notes (look at adaic).
 - MRT documents - The mapping and revision team for Ada9x documents.
   These can be really illuminating

well this should give you a start.

Since you are using GNAT, and mentioned elaboration - The GNAT user guide
explanation of this issue (and GNAT's implemenetation) is very useful.

Anyone writing a book on the gory details of Ada? I'd love to read it
(well, I'd also love to write it... But I wouldn't trust myself just yet
:-)

Ehud Lamm mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ehudlamm <== My home on the web
Check it out and subscribe to the E-List- for interesting essays and more!

* Re: Ada Docs/Books - Elaboration, other complex stuff
@ 2000-01-12  0:00 ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 2000-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:38:33 GMT, Sploo <sploo@spikyfish.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any good papers or books on the 'complex' features
>of Ada 95? I seem to run into quite a few problems due to elaboration,
>tasking and other such issues.

There's a very good book on tasking related issues by Alan Burns and
Andy Wellings, "Concurrency in Ada Second Edition", published by
Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-62911-X.

- Aidan

--
"I consider your own preference for not breeding to be a service
to usenet."

* Re: Ada Docs/Books - Elaboration, other complex stuff
@ 2000-01-12  0:00   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2000-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>Does anyone know of any good papers or books on the 'complex' features
>>of Ada 95? I seem to run into quite a few problems due to elaboration,
>>tasking and other such issues.
>
>There's a very good book on tasking related issues by Alan Burns and
>Andy Wellings, "Concurrency in Ada Second Edition", published by
>Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-62911-X.
  There were two volumes on some of the "deep dark corners" of Ada 83,
"Exploring Ada"  by Douglas L. Bryan and Geoffrey O. Mendal,
ISBN 0-13-295684-5 and ISBN 0-13-297227-1

* Re: Ada Docs/Books - Elaboration, other complex stuff
@ 2000-01-12  0:00 ` Nancy Nancarrow
From: Nancy Nancarrow @ 2000-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <387b23ee.18250265@news.demon.co.uk>,
  sploo@spikyfish.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of any good papers or books on the 'complex' features
> of Ada 95? I seem to run into quite a few problems due to elaboration,
> tasking and other such issues.

For your information there is a tutorial on "The use of Ada in real time
systems" in April in London which may be helpful to you.  the tutors
are: Prof. Alan Burns, Dr Iain Bate, Dr Neil Audsley and Prof. Andy
Wellings.
For further information please check:
http://www.iee.org.uk?Events/a06apr00.ht

--