* Re: Types Converting
@ 1996-04-27  0:00   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1996-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ltn0h$c37@rigel.rz.uni-ulm.de>,
Joerg Rodemann <rodemann@mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote:
>   Message : String;

It's illegal to declare a variable of type String, unless you either
initialize it, or give bounds.  E.g. "Message: String := ...;" or
"Message: String(1..50);".

>   Message := "The Total is " & i'Image & " out of 100";

Image is an attribute of types, not variables.  E.g. "Integer'Image(I)".

What you want is something like:

    Message: constant String := "The total is" & Integer'Image(I)
				& " out of 100";

Note that the 'Image attribute evilly adds an extra space (if I is
positive), so I didn't put a space after "is".

In my own code, I write an Image function, which avoids the annoying
extra space, and has lots of options like allowing hexadecimal, and
putting in underscores every 3 characters, etc.  All with defaults, of
course, so "Image(I)" does something reasonable.

- Bob

* Re: Types Converting
@ 1996-04-27  0:00 ` Joerg Rodemann
From: Joerg Rodemann @ 1996-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

HSR Al-Dhaheri (hashem@dhaheri.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Hi,

> I would like to know how can you convert an integer to a string in Ada.

> For example, if you've declared a variable of type integer called
> [Total] which holds 25, and another one as a string called [Message]
> which holds "The Total is ## out of 100".

> How can you convert the [Total] to a string to insert it in the string
> [Message] in the position '##' so that the [Message] will contain "The
> Total is 25 out of 100" as the final result?

Hello!

The easiest solution is:

   Message : String;
   Message := "The Total is " & i'Image & " out of 100";

Have a nice day

George

--
Joerg 'George' Rodemann                      Erhard-Groezinger-Strasse 82
Department of Physics                                   D-89134 Blaustein

* Types Converting
@ 1996-04-27  0:00 HSR Al-Dhaheri
From: HSR Al-Dhaheri @ 1996-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I would like to know how can you convert an integer to a string in Ada.

For example, if you've declared a variable of type integer called
[Total] which holds 25, and another one as a string called [Message]
which holds "The Total is ## out of 100".

How can you convert the [Total] to a string to insert it in the string
[Message] in the position '##' so that the [Message] will contain "The
Total is 25 out of 100" as the final result?

Thanx in advance...

    /  ||           Hashem Al-Dhaheri
   / O ||      hashem@dhaheri.demon.co.uk