From: nickerson@mirage.vms.boeing.com ()
Subject: OpenVMS Ada95 Capability (was ACT & Ada95 in comp.lang.ada)
Date: 1996/04/22
Date: 1996-04-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.829675012@schonberg>,
dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
..
|>As an example of cross-vendor use of test suites, one of the important
|>aspects of our agreement with DEC is that we wlil have access to the
|>DEC test suite. It will take a lot of work to adapt that suite, and part
|>of the reason that it is feasible is that we are committed to a very
|>high degree of compatibility with Dec Ada.

I am interested in more information about Ada95 on Digital OpenVMS. Now
you've mentioned the DEC & ACT agreement and the "commitment" that is
present. So ... this opens the floodgate to a bunch of questions; (note
I've not ever touched Ada95 so excuse any non sequitur); the following
questions occur to me; please answer any and all possible; (I can
find no hard data at either Digital or ACT websites);

0) Is any detailed agreement public?
1) Will both VAX and Alpha be supported and what OS versions?
2) What is the schedule, availability, and distribution mechanism?
3) Will I be using the native VMS Debugger, linker, objects?
4) Will the DEC Ada Compilation System (ACS) interface be there?
5) Will the VMS calling standard be used so that I can easily use mixed
	language programming with other Digital compilers?
6) What other level of integration and support will there be - (eg
	support with LSE/SCA/PCA)?
7) What language annexes will be supported?
8) What will be the task mapping (threads vs process vs cluster process
	vs ...) and the distributed annex mapping (TCP/IP RPC vs ...)?
9) What bindings will be available (eg STARLET, LIB, MTH, FOR, SMG,
	Motif, ...)?

--bn (Bart Nickerson)
nickerson@mirage.vms.boeing.com
(206) 662-0183