From: kst@thomsoft.com (Keith Thompson)
Subject: Re: How can I clear the screen?
Date: 1996/03/30
Date: 1996-03-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In <4jfqqv$ekh@news.pacifier.com> steved@pacifier.com@199.2.117.163   (Steve Doiel) writes:
> Well, you don't describe your platform or environment, but the following
> works in a text mode window using GNAT on OS/2.  It isn't the most
> elegant set of routines or methods, but they work for me.  I believe they
> rely on the ole ANSI.SYS (or equivalent for OS/2) driver.
[spec and body of Terminal package deleted]

This implementation assumes a terminal or emulator that accepts
VT100-style control codes (also referred to as ANSI, since there's an
ANSI standard for this).  These days that's almost a safe assumption,
since the vast majority of modern text-mode terminals and emulators,
including xterm, at least have a mode in which they emulate a VT100.

Full generality would require something like Unix's termcap, terminfo,
or curses interface.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@thomsoft.com
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products