From: stt@henning.camb.inmet.com (Tucker Taft)
Subject: Re: Ada and Java
Date: 1996/03/20
Date: 1996-03-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Paul Whittington (paul@srv.net) wrote:

: homeboy@nando.net () wrote:
: > ...
: >Basically, Intermetrics is developing a compiler that will take Ada95 code
: >(excluding some features) and kick out the Java architecture neutral byte
: >codes.  ...

: I've heard of this Ada 95 JVM compiler and I've read the Intermetrics
: web page on it, but has anyone actually seen it?

We have distributed a small number of "alpha" versions.

: Is there an expected availability date for a commercial version and
: what will be the configurations and costs?

A "beta" version is due out this week.  Stay tuned...

: What does the Ada 95 interface to the Java class library look like?

There is an Ada package corresponding to each Java class in the API.
I have included a copy of the Ada package corresponding to
standard class java.util.Hashtable at the end of this message.
The typical way to use such a package is to "with" and "use" it
(horrors ;-).  The type names are designed to make "use" appropriate.
We considered other conventions, but this seems to provide the most
direct mapping.

: Is Intermetrics going to publish the specs for the Java class library
: interface in the hopes that it will become a standard, or to get input
: from others?

We do hope it will become a standard, and comments are certainly welcome.
The mapping to Java is so direct that hopefully there isn't too much
to debate (but there is always *something* to debate ;-).

: Is there a beta program?

Yes.  You will be able to download a Sparc, Win32, and (soon) a
Mac version of the Ada/Java "beta".  The product is called AppletMagic(tm),
by the way.

Keep an eye on http://www.inmet.com/java.html, or comp.lang.ada.

Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA

------ Ada package interface corresponding to java.util.Hashtable ----

with java.util.Dictionary; use java.util.Dictionary;
with java.lang.String; use java.lang.String;
with java.util.Enumeration; use java.util.Enumeration;
with java.lang.Cloneable; use java.lang.Cloneable;
with java.lang; use java.lang;
package java.util.Hashtable is

    type Hashtable_Obj is new Dictionary_Obj with record
        Cloneable : aliased Cloneable_Obj;  -- implements Cloneable
    end record;
    type Hashtable_Ptr is access all Hashtable_Obj'Class;

    function new_Hashtable(
        initialCapacity : Integer;
        loadFactor : Float;
        this : Hashtable_Ptr := null)
      return Hashtable_Ptr;

    function new_Hashtable(
        initialCapacity : Integer;
        this : Hashtable_Ptr := null)
      return Hashtable_Ptr;

    procedure init_Hashtable(this : access Hashtable_Obj'Class);
    function new_Hashtable(this : Hashtable_Ptr := null) return Hashtable_Ptr;

    function size(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Integer;

    function isEmpty(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Boolean;

    function keys(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Enumeration_Ptr;

    function elements(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Enumeration_Ptr;

    function contains(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        value : Object_Ptr)
      return Boolean;

    function containsKey(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Boolean;

    function get(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    function put(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr;
        value : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    function remove(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    procedure clear(this : access Hashtable_Obj);

    function clone(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Object_Ptr;

    function toString(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return String_Ptr;

    pragma Import(Java, contains);
    pragma Import(Java, containsKey);
    pragma Import(Java, clone);
    pragma Import(Java, put);
    pragma Import(Java, elements);
    pragma Import(Java, remove);
    pragma Import(Java, size);
    pragma Import(Java, get);
    pragma Import(Java, clear);
    pragma Import(Java, keys);
    pragma Import(Java, isEmpty);
    pragma Import(Java, toString);

    pragma Import(Java_Constructor, init_Hashtable);
    pragma Import(Java_Constructor, new_Hashtable);

end java.util.Hashtable;